Can you Bluetooth from mic to a speaker

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
christosg

Can you Bluetooth from mic to a speaker

Post by christosg »

What would be the way to use a mic with a voice changer to a wireless speaker what would I use as hardware and any advice on a great sketch . It’s for a helmet. I have an old voice changer I made with an uno and a potentiometer but I would like to Bluetooth it to a speaker or speakers I could place In The helmet

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Can you Bluetooth from mic to a speaker

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That isn't possible in general.

Bluetooth was developed as a wireless alternative to a USB cable, and has the same assumption of a smart 'central' device that controls all data connections. It doesn't do peer-to-peer communication very well, since that would be like having a keyboard that could write data directly to a USB stick.

There's an added problem that 'Bluetooth' is a category name for a collection of mostly-incompatible protocols managed by the same industry group (which likes confusingly similar names). The only version of Bluetooth fast enough to do real-time audio is the version now known as 'Bluetooth Classic' or BT-C.

BT-C is actively unfriendly to hobbyists and tinkerers. All BT-C devices have to conform to a published set of specifications, and to have a vendor ID that you can only get by paying the BT Working Group an annual license fee ($5k/year IIRC). Several years ago a company tried to let hobbyists use IDs in its own range, and the BTWG revoked their VID.

You'll probably have better luck using a peer-to-peer fast connection like Wifi. The ESP8266 is inexpensive and can handle 10Mbps connections.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”