Does Trinket M0 work with 5V LED Strips?

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MTMT

Does Trinket M0 work with 5V LED Strips?

Post by MTMT »

Hi,

I was looking at Trinket Mini Microcontroller 5V, and the web page says it is superseded by Trinket M0, but the writing on M0 shows "3V". Would M0 work with 5V LED Light Strips?

I want a very basic and smallest microcontroller for 5V LED light strips that can be programmed for some light patterns (e.g. wave, flash, etc.) and that can be used with 3 buttons to change 1) brightness, 2) colors and 3) patterns (including on/off). I am okay with Arduino programming. Is there another lower level microcontroller that can the job?

I am confused by the many products available at your site. I read somewhere in the forum that there is currently no comparison chart that summarizes each microcontroller (i.e. Trinket, Gemma, Flora, etc.). I understand there are many varieties of microcontroller at Adafruit, but a summary of the main ones like Trinket vs Gemma vs XXX would be very helpful.

Thank-you!

Mike

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Does Trinket M0 work with 5V LED Strips?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you are powering the strips from 5v, then you will need a level shifter for the control signals such as the NeoPXL8: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3975

However, for battery powered projects, '5v' Neopixel strips will run fine powered directly by a 3.7v LiPo cell. In that case, you do not need the level shifting.

MTMT

Post by MTMT »

Would you recommend Trinket M0 for use with 5V LED Strips powered from 5V powerbank? Thanks.

Mike

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes, that will work. But if the strips are Neopixels (WS2812), you will need a level shifter as described above.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”