Huzzah32 battery over discharge

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Chris41

Huzzah32 battery over discharge

Post by Chris41 »

Hello all. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but a search didn't show anything useful. I just got this board with the JST jack for a project. I have a 1000mah LiPo battery plugged in for testing (fully charged to 4.2v) and left it using the "scan" example sketch to see how long this battery size would last with wifi on non stop. This morning I checked and it was powered off unsurprisingly. However, the battery was drained all the way to 1.8v. Both measured at the battery plugged and unplugged from the board. Not only is this way below what I thought the board should have let the battery get to, but can severely damage the cells. Is this a known issue with this board, or do I have a dud? Also, as an observation the esp32 gets pretty warm if that's also odd...

Chris

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Huzzah32 battery over discharge

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Overdischarge protection circuits are typically a function of the cell, not the charging circuit or load. All of the cells we carry have built-in protection circuits.

Many cells designed for flight( e.g. drones & Rc planes) omit the protection circuit. (It is better to safely land with a damaged pack then to crash due to an abrupt cut in power)

Chris41

Re: Huzzah32 battery over discharge

Post by Chris41 »

Excellent to know, and thank you for the quick reply. It might be worth adding that to the relevant item pages. I'm sure I'm not the only one to miss that. New cells on the way haha.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”