Automotive can bus to analog

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
veedabowlu

Automotive can bus to analog

Post by veedabowlu »

Hello,
I'm working on an automotive engine swap/conversion. The automotive ECU I am using broadcasts the check engine light over can bus to the instrument cluster and it lights up an LED light in the cluster. The car that this conversion is going into does not have a can bus instrument cluster, just a simple speedometer, and tachometer. I need a light, like an LED on the the dashboard to light up when the engine ECU see's an OBD2 fault code. So, I need some sort of board that I can wire to the engine ECU can bus, and it convert the signal to an analog signal... Any suggestions? I suppose it could also be a can bus to PWM board to light up the LED... What hardware & software would I need?

danhalbert

Re: Automotive can bus to analog

Post by danhalbert »

veedabowlu

Post by veedabowlu »

OK wonderful, now how do I get this to work with the automotive can bus to interpret the check engine light needs to be turned un because of a fault code is active?

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

That depends on how the CAN bus is used. I don't know if something like that is common across cars or not. We did a CAN bus implementation, but we have not used it in such applications. I think a lot of websearching will be necessary :) .

veedabowlu

Post by veedabowlu »

I'm trying to do something like this, but MUCH cheaper https://checkout.square.site/buy/Q6LHQB ... 2GF77KX4MC
Here is the manual for it...https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zez4Ew ... 0Hh0k/view
Bosch MED7.5.X applies

Some sort of circuitry, that connects to CAN BUS, ( I understand can bus high, and can bus low) accepts 12V +DC (when ignition is turned on) and when it receives a CAN BUS signal (digital) for an OBD fault code, can turn on an LED light (check engine light)
So I need 4 wires, 12V+ switched power when key on, battery ground, CAN HI, CAN LOW, to turn on a LED light.
All of the other functions would be icing on the cake... but not as necessary.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”