New Pi 400 will not power up

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
monkeyarchitect

New Pi 400 will not power up

Post by monkeyarchitect »

I have a 4GB Pi 400 I received from Adafruit just a few days ago. I ordered the official USB-C Power Supply with it, and the appropriate HDMI cable for it as well.

I plugged it in this morning for the first time, and nothing. I plugged in the HDMI cable first, inserted the micro-SD card, connected the Ethernet cable, then the power. No lights, no boot, nothing. Tried both HDMI ports, a known-good micro-SD card I took out of another Pi, plugging in the power supply into different power outlets, unplugged the Ethernet cable, tried everything again, nothing is working. The three lights at the top of the keyboard don't respond to plugging in the PSU, nothing blinks, nothing lights up, nothing happens. Very frustrated right now. I am not a newbie to technology, been working in IT for 25 years. I bought this Pi400 to run Nakivo to backup my home VMware Proliant server to a 10TB external drive.

Suggestions? Or should I return/exchange it?

mikeysklar

Re: New Pi 400 will not power up

Post by mikeysklar »

It sounds like we are going to exchange something here. We need to figure out if it is the power supply or the Pi400.

Can you try the new Pi foundation power supply on another Pi4 if you have one? Do you have another USB-C power supply you can test with the Pi400?

monkeyarchitect

Post by monkeyarchitect »

I plugged the Pi 400 into a known-good USB-C charger for my Samsung Galaxy S20FE phone that is rated at 5V and 2 amps, and still no lights. Is that enough to make it light up? Also, the charger came in a box that was ripped open. It looked okay, but when I plug it into my phone, the phone says there is something wrong with the charger. If you are replacing the Pi 400, can you also replace the power supply unit? I am not sure that I trust it after that.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The USB-C that came with your phone is enough for a basic power up test (although not enough for normal use with a Pi4 based board).

Let's replace both. Please send an e-mail to [email protected] with your order# and a link to this forum thread request replacements of both the Pi400 and the power supply.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”