Feather ESP32-S2 TFT not working

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adamarc

Feather ESP32-S2 TFT not working

Post by adamarc »

Bought two of the nifty ESP32-S2 Feathers with the built-in TFT. One worked perfect out of the gate, the other will not display any content on the screen. (The backlight works fine and I can power it on/off with the TFT_BACKLITE pin.)

I've seen a few similar posts here, but they seem to end up with "screen must be DOA". I'm initializing the screen per the example code:

Code: Select all

Adafruit_ST7789 tft = Adafruit_ST7789(TFT_CS, TFT_DC, TFT_RST);
But maybe those hardware pins are wrong? Again, one of the boards worked great with the factory program and then with my sketch, but the second Feather simply won't show anything on the screen. I tried restoring the default boot image as well, with no luck. The onboard NeoPixel is doing its lovely color wheel dance, so I think the restore worked, but the screen still has nothing on it. If anyone has any ideas how to test the SPI configuration stuff, I'd love to know where to start.

I should say that I did add header pins so I may have accidentally damaged the screen. Not sure how to test that either, though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dastels

Re: Feather ESP32-S2 TFT not working

Post by dastels »

Out of the box they both should have run the demo with various sensor readings and such displayed with colorful text.

Dave

adamarc

Post by adamarc »

Thanks for the speedy response, Dave. One of the Feathers ran the demo just as you noted, complete with colorful text. The other one only seems to have a backlight. But I did add the header pins before I tried the second one, so it wasn't completely "out of the box". I'm willing to chalk this up to the ol' classic I/O error, but was hoping to salvage the use of the screen. As best I can tell, all the other features like the NeoPixel, I2C, WiFi, etc. are all fine.

dastels

Post by dastels »

As you say, this has been seen before. If it's a problem with the connection of the display to the board, there isn't much to do about it.

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one Feather ESP-32-S2 TFT.

Dave

adamarc

Post by adamarc »

Will do, Dave. Thanks again for the prompt responses!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”