Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Pointer (I think) Arithmetic
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pointer (I think) Arithmetic

by nogginboink on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm just fluent enough in C to be dangerous and I'm afraid I need help on this one.

I want to be able to define, in my code, the microcontroller port on which my LED is connected:

#define LED_PORT PORTD

Now, I happen to know that on the ATTiny2313, the DDR register for the port is the register immediately after the PORT register. I shouldn't have to manually #define this in my code. I want some kind of macro so that I can write code such as:

DDR(LED_PORT) |= 1 << LED_BIT;

To me, this line of code is readable, self-explanatory, and simple. It also eases code maintenance in case I need to move the LED to another port, I only have to redefine LED_PORT and the code will still work because the DDR register will be found automatically.

Can anyone help me write a macro (or other code automation) that would allow me to write code that automagically determines the DDR register from the PORT register?

nogginboink

Re: Pointer (I think) Arithmetic

by westfw on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:16 pm

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
#define DDR(port) *((&port)+1)

Maybe. Seems to work for PORTB; I'm not sure what will happen when the address switch from IO addresses to memory addresses.

westfw

by nogginboink on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 pm

This doesn't seem to work on my hardware. (I really wish I understood C pointer arithmetic better than I actually do.)

nogginboink

by nogginboink on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:56 pm

Actually, it does appear to work. The DDR register is the port register MINUS one, not plus one. Changing that solves the problem.

nogginboink

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.