Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

ATmega32u4 Breakout + Teensyduino + Arduino 1.0?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ATmega32u4 Breakout + Teensyduino + Arduino 1.0?

by soundguyandy on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 pm

The product page for the 32u4 breakout suggests that 0021 is the easiest Arduino build to use for the 32u4 breakout with Teensyduino, rather than later 002x builds. Can anybody offer guidance on updating to make it work with Arduino 1.0, or why later builds were more troublesome? I was holding off on moving to 1.0, but this recent bug I ran into in Teensyduino was fixed in the latest build, which only supports 1.0. So I'd like to migrate everything up to that.

Otherwise I'll just compile in the IDE as a Teensy, watch my file size for the limit (which I assume is because of bootloader size differences?), and then flash it with AVRdude, but getting it direct into the IDE would be cleaner.

Thanks,
Andy

soundguyandy

Re: ATmega32u4 Breakout + Teensyduino + Arduino 1.0?

by adafruit on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:28 am

we're holding off a bit on tweaking 1.0 to work with the 32u4 because 1.0 is still beta, and 1.0 also has leonardo support (the 32u4 arduino). if you're gung ho about using teensyduino, we suggest getting a teensy! :)

adafruit

Re: ATmega32u4 Breakout + Teensyduino + Arduino 1.0?

by soundguyandy on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:34 am

I'm not necessarily gung ho about Teensyduino, more just somehow being able to program the 32u4 in Arduino as a MIDI device. How I get there is somewhat flexible :-)

For current purposes, though, your breakout works better, because it's got mounting holes. For this particular project, that's a dealbreaker for the Teensy. Of course, in the not too terribly distant future I am going to move it to a purpose-built PCB, but until then, I'm prototyping and doing a few early builds on the breakout.

soundguyandy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.