There is no USPS pickup on Monday Feb 15th, 2016 because of President's Day. USPS orders placed after 11am EST Fri February 12th will go out Tuesday February 16. UPS orders will ship as normal.

Rotary control knob
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Rotary control knob

by robives on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm making a project with an Arduino.
I'm wanting to add a rotary control knob so that when I rotate it one way a variable increases and when I rotate it the other way it decreases. I'm not wanting to use a pot, I want to be able to rotate the knob more than one turn and still increment/decrement. I know that such things are available as I have something similar in the volume control on my car radio but I don't know the name of what I'm looking for, any ideas? Thanks!
robives

Re: Rotary control knob

by seamus on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Sounds like what you're after is a rotary encoder, such as this one in the Adafruit store.

I don't have a lot of experience with encoders (yet), so I'm afraid I can't be of much more help than that, but at least it's a start...
I make things.
Sometimes I break things too.
...because variety is good.

seamus

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:53 pm

Seamus has the right idea. A rotary encoder will do what you want.

adafruit_support_bill

by greywuuf on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Old Mice are a good source of cheap rotary encoders ;) ( obviously not optical mice, but the old school ones with the ball)
greywuuf

by greywuuf on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:18 pm

Never mind, I just noticed the link to the adafruit bread board freindly encoder... WOW Nice is all I can say and the price is right too.
greywuuf

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.