Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Learning AVR assembly: tools and resources?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Learning AVR assembly: tools and resources?

by A. Square on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm interested in taking the plunge and starting to learn assembly for my AVRs. For now, I'm more interested in reading through compiled code (both from the Arduino environment and C code compiled using avrgcc) to understand what's going on, and to optimize speed; I figure that will be a nice introduction to eventually programming routines in assembly, if I ever need to.

Can anyone suggest resources for learning, and what tools I might want to use to do it? Things that can run on OS X are especially appreciated! (ladyada, I know you're an OS X user; any recommendations?)

Are there any disassemblers/decompilers that will be useful, or do I have to go through the hex line-by-line?

Thanks!

Jonathan
A. Square

by cell on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:41 pm

the avr manual (and some of the app-notes) feature code snippets in both C and assembly.

cell

by cell on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:44 pm

actually, you will probably never need to write an entire project in assembly.

what you probably want is to be able in insert inline chunks of assembly into your c code.

http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-man ... e_asm.html

cell

by darus67 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:47 pm

Given the right set of command line options, you can get GCC to just generate assembly code files from the C source.

That seems easier than decompiling the object or hex files.
"He's just this guy. You know?"
darus67

by A. Square on Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:35 pm

cell wrote:the avr manual (and some of the app-notes) feature code snippets in both C and assembly.

I've seen the code snippets, but I guess I'm looking for more of a command and language reference.

darus67 wrote:Given the right set of command line options, you can get GCC to just generate assembly code files from the C source.

That seems easier than decompiling the object or hex files.

I didn't realize GCC would do that, and that is great for projects written in straight C. However, for looking at Arduino code a disassembler might be the easiest way. This disassembler, which even has a precompiled OS X binary, looks like it might be just the ticket.

Thanks for the suggestions, and, of course, more references and tools are always appreciated.
A. Square

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.