Lookiing for the right stuff to get started
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Lookiing for the right stuff to get started

by Darkbain on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:12 pm

Hey all, I'm looking to get started on microcontrollers. I've been reading up on ATtiny13 and am looking to purchase a complete setup. So far what I think I'll need for start up is (USBtinyISP AVR Programmer Kit) and ( USBtinyISP microcontroller)? I see that there are quite a few different microcontrollers out and each most likely have their own features so going with the ATtiny13v might or might not give me my desired results so i'm not completely set on just the ATtiny13 for my first project. Which is to get six LEDs to fade in and out randomly. The list of parts above I got from http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... x&cPath=16
Can someone tell me if I need anything else to get started. Thanks in advance

fx
Darkbain

by koolkat on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:41 pm

if you order the usbtiny kit, you dont need the usbtiny processor...it comes with it.
koolkat

by Hazard on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:02 pm

I would sugest USBtinyISP programmer + some kind of target board. Something ike Boarduino. It's great to use a target board in breadboards, really handy.
If you don't want to spend all the money on boarduino, you could just buy the pcb+atmega168 and solder the components you need.
Hazard

by MrShifty on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:07 pm

the USBTiny is a nice programmer. Personally, I'd go the route of buying a PCB+ZIF+headers and making your own target board. Maybe a couple different ZIF sockets to accommodate different chips. I made one with a regular IC socket, but it's pain to remove the chip once programmed. Of course, that's why ISP was invented, wasn't it? ;)

For some inspiration:
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article ... rgetboards
MrShifty

by zootboy on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:29 pm

I would suggest a slightly larger AVR then the tiny13, as it only has 5 i/o pins. I like the tiny2313 (it was my first).
attiny2313 is my chip of choice!

zootboy

thx

by Darkbain on Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks for the responds, after this long weekend a couple of friends and I will be diving in.
Nice site also looks like there could be something similar to what I have in mind in there.
Till next time...
Darkbain

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.