Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Avrdude doesn't work with my chips... HELP!!!
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Avrdude doesn't work with my chips... HELP!!!

by duckythescientist on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:22 pm

I have atmega168p 's and will soon have atmega328p 's. Avrdude doesn't accept these chips. I've tried changing the signature and that didn't work nor does it work to -F ignore the signature. It keeps finding errors upon validating and keeps trying to change my fuses to deathmode. Is there anyway to successfully write to these chips and is there any way to burn the Arduino bootloader to the atmega168p 's. I'm a n00b and am getting frustrated. Please help soon!
duckythescientist

by koolkat on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:26 pm

what are the errors you get?

EDIT: can you post it? ....if just read that it had trouble validating the signature of the chip...correct?
koolkat

Its working now

by duckythescientist on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:46 pm

I have no clue what I did differently but it is now woking. Avrdude gave me no problems with fuses or the main program. But the atmega168p still doesn't work with the arduino, is there anyway I can get around that. I greatly appreciate your interest and your quick response. :)
duckythescientist

by koolkat on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:25 pm

hmmm...yesterday i just made my own arduino-like board on a breadboard....with a m168....so i just got started with a arduino yesterday....sorry :)
koolkat

Re: Avrdude doesn't work with my chips... HELP!!!

by zooto68 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:08 am

If you still need to know how to program the bootloader to an 168P I can tell you.

zooto68

by cyberoidx on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Hey, I'm trying to program a factory atmega32 using UsbAsp.

I use atmega128 on my development board, with linux and avr-gcc.

Flashing was done using avrdude

will the new mega32 need to be bootloaded? if yes, how?

Thanks
cyberoidx

by skud on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:44 am

zooto68 wrote:If you still need to know how to program the bootloader to an 168P I can tell you.

Hey Zooto68, sorry to drag up an old thread but I am having trouble burning bootloader to my Atmega168p's can you give me some help?!!

This is what I have done so far:
I am using my Arduino MEGA as the AVR programmer and breadboarded the chip to be programmed.
I have 16MHz crystal attached also with decoupling capsand am supplying power to the chip from the arduino.
When I use AVRdude (on a mac) it seems to try and program the chip as the programming LED I have on the board flashes but then stops. AVRdude returns that an error when I test the communication (avrdude -p m168 -P /dev/tty.usbserial-A6008htn -c avrisp -b 19200).

Thanks
skud

by Entropy on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:58 am

duckythescientist wrote:I have atmega168p 's and will soon have atmega328p 's. Avrdude doesn't accept these chips. I've tried changing the signature and that didn't work nor does it work to -F ignore the signature. It keeps finding errors upon validating and keeps trying to change my fuses to deathmode. Is there anyway to successfully write to these chips and is there any way to burn the Arduino bootloader to the atmega168p 's. I'm a n00b and am getting frustrated. Please help soon!

Did you happen to have the 168p wired to a circuit? (beyond basic support stuff like you would find in an Arduino not wired to anything else).

My guesses are:
1) A bad ISP connection
2) You have something in your circuit sharing the ICSP I/O lines that is interfering with programming. As an example, I have a project using a bunch of ATTiny85s all hanging on a single I2C bus. I have to disconnect each Tiny85 from the bus to program it, otherwise the other AVRs on the bus interfere with programming. (The Tiny85 USI pins needed for I2C are also used for ICSP.)
Entropy

by duckythescientist on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:17 pm

I know this was from forever ago, but I decided I ought to share what the problem for me was. I found that using a parallel port programmer with an Arduino board, the LED on pin 13 provided too much of a current drain for the programmer to work. I removed the LED, and it works now.
duckythescientist

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.