๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

microchip or atmel?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

microchip or atmel?

by cooperharris on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:38 pm

I did realize that you use mostly atmel , is there a principal reason for it besides the fact of having a programmer?, thanks for your help,I work mostly with pic, nice site by the way
cooperharris

by mtbf0 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:42 am

i wouldn't presume to answer for anyone else, but i like the open source tool chain and the flat memory model. also they are generally faster than the 16 and 18 series pics. the 26f's do have some really cool features and an open source tool chain to boot, but by then it was too late. besides, i've finally gotten a grip on the avr timers.
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

by cooperharris on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:13 pm

yeah, but microchip also got a very wide information about their pics, and a lot of schematic to work with , I guess that it is about commercial stuff ,I is just like intel and amd !, but let`s enjoy the best of each one!

mtbf0 wrote:i wouldn't presume to answer for anyone else, but i like the open source tool chain and the flat memory model. also they are generally faster than the 16 and 18 series pics. the 26f's do have some really cool features and an open source tool chain to boot, but by then it was too late. besides, i've finally gotten a grip on the avr timers.
cooperharris

by Hazard on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:58 am

For me is the avr-gcc -> Win
Hazard

by macegr on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:47 am

Yeah there's a lot of stuff out there for PICs...but the majority is still regarding the 16 series. That's why we still see novices struggling with the 16F84 as their first MCU, they ran across a bunch of circuits for it and thought it was the easiest/most common microcontroller. And yeah, that was true about 10 years ago.

There may still be slightly less out there for AVR, but that won't be true for long. The free, high quality tools and no nonsense architecture mean it's easier to learn things for yourself, rather than hoping you'll find an existing project for anything you might want to do.
macegr

by westfw on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:00 pm

The last time this came up, I pointed out that I have worries about Atmel as a Company, business-wise. I like their technical directions (at least, taken individually rather than in "how can they compete with themselves so much?" mode), but their boardroom antics have looked like a bad TV reality show (not as much recently, thank you!), and the "bottom line" has not been encouraging.
westfw

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.