USBtinyISP and STK500?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

USBtinyISP and STK500?

by zthee on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:12 am

First of all, let me apologize for being a totalt n00b to this.

I really really want to play with AVR - But since I'm using Mac it's all a bit of a hazzle..
I've searched the net and looked about every where and the options seem to be
1, Get a PC.
2, Get a USB->Serial converter and hope it works with OS X and then spend the rest of the week to get it going.
3, Get a USBtinyISP.

Option #3 is looking really good compared to the competition!

But is it possible to connect it to a STK500? Or any other starter kit? Or should I build the kit myself?

Thanks!
zthee

Re: USBtinyISP and STK500?

by The_Don125 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:07 am

I've hooked up my Linux laptop to my STK500 using a USB -> Serial cable, works great, no problems as of yet, no drivers to install. Took me about 15 minutes to get working. Instead of pointing avrdude to /dev/ttyS0, I point it to /dev/ttyUSB0. Those won't be the same values you'll use on your mac, but it looks like it will work.

That being said, if you don't already have an STK500, Ladyada's USBtinyISP is the cheaper option at $22 plus shipping, since an STK500 will typically run about $50, and the converter cable is usually another $15-$20

(all prices in USD)
The_Don125

by zthee on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks for the quick answer!

I've decided to go for the USBtinyISP. Now I guess I need some kind of development board.
Is it easier to build one? Or is there any recommendend? I'd like a few buttons and a few leds - I guess :) So I can make blinky LEDs and all that other beginners stuff...
zthee

by The_Don125 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:22 am

If what you want is a development board, maybe take a look at the Arduino. Its got an AVR microcontroller, and has a huge following. Depending on which flavor you get, it can have full USB programming support, and it even has an IDE available for download somewhere online (I can't recall where). Its also only $35 for the full-featured decimilia, but can go as low as $20 for more stripped down versions.
The_Don125

by eil on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Ladyada has a bunch of cool arduino stuff too:

http://www.adafruit.com/

(Which you probably already knew if you're posting to this forum, I just feel like pointing out the obvious today...)
eil

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.