Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

MiniPov3 serial programming
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

MiniPov3 serial programming

by nadie on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:54 am

I'm just getting into this microcontroller thing, and I was wondering if the way the MiniPov3
connects the ATtiny2313 to the serial interface could be used to serial program AVR
microcontrollers more generally. For example could I wire up an ATmega168 similarly
and program it? I had a look at the datasheets on the Atmel website (www.atmel.com)
and the serial programming interfaces look pretty much the same.

Ultimately I'd like to build a USB ISP, but for that I need to be able to program a microcontroller,
so starting with a serial programmer seems to be a simple way to bootstrap things.

If anyone knows of another way to build a serial programmer that doesn't have the
chicken-and-egg problem of needing to program a microprocessor to start with
I'd be very grateful to hear it.
nadie

Re: MiniPov3 serial programming

by franklin97355 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Have you looked at the USBTiny ISP from adafruit.com? It comes preprogrammed (IF you don't do something stupid like put the chip in backwards)

franklin97355

by oPossum on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:32 pm

A simple serial or parallel programmer can be used with AVRDude to program the ATtiny2313 and other AVR chips.
The MiniPOV3 uses the serial "DASA" circuit.
A USB to serial cable may work for the serial programmer, but a USB to parallel cable will not work for the parallel programmer.

I am the Possum, and I approve of this message. Sent from MacBook Wheel Sorry for my bad German.
oPossum

by nadie on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:07 pm

franklin97355 wrote:Have you looked at the USBTiny ISP from adafruit.com? It comes preprogrammed (IF you don't do something stupid like put the chip in backwards)

Yes, and I was considering getting one. The only things stopping me were that
I would like to really understand how all this works, so I prefer to be able to
do it myself, and the recent plunge in the pound-dollar exchange rate
(as I'm in the UK).
nadie

by nadie on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:44 pm

oPossum wrote:A simple serial or parallel programmer can be used with AVRDude to program the ATtiny2313 and other AVR chips.
A USB to serial cable may work for the serial programmer, but a USB to parallel cable will not work for the parallel programmer.

Thanks for the schematics. The serial one was what I had in mind.
The ATmega has the same serial interface with MOSI, MISO, SCK on pins 17,18,19,
but has VCC on 7 and AVCC on 20. Could I just connect AVCC to VCC?

Am I right that the 1N5231B are 5.1V 0.5W zener diodes to reduce the 10V from the serial port?
Are the 4k7 resistors there to limit current? Is there any particular reason for that value?

You guys have been very helpful. Sorry to come back with so many questions.
nadie

by oPossum on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:40 am

nadie wrote:The ATmega has the same serial interface with MOSI, MISO, SCK on pins 17,18,19,
but has VCC on 7 and AVCC on 20. Could I just connect AVCC to VCC?

Yes, connect all Vcc and AVcc pins together. If there is more than one ground pin, connect them together. All power pins must be connected. A 100 nF (0.1 uF) cap between power and ground is always a good thing to have to ensure stability.

Am I right that the 1N5231B are 5.1V 0.5W zener diodes to reduce the 10V from the serial port?
Are the 4k7 resistors there to limit current? Is there any particular reason for that value?

Yes, the zeners will limit the high voltage to 5.1V and the low voltage to -0.7V. I don't think the resistor value is critical - it may even work without them - serial ports are current limited.
I am the Possum, and I approve of this message. Sent from MacBook Wheel Sorry for my bad German.
oPossum

by mohd on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:43 am

oPossum wrote:A simple serial or parallel programmer can be used with AVRDude to program the ATtiny2313 and other AVR chips.

Guys, im wondering .. plz help me.. i see here the MiniPOV3 programmer can be used just with ATTiny, but...

Q1: Can i use " The MiniPOV3 uses the serial "DASA" circuit " programmer with ATmega (8,16 and 32) without any problems?????????
====================================================================================
Q2: i found that DASA pins can be interfaced the ATTiny uC with the PC, such as :
DASA
RESET = RTS
SCK = DTR
MOSI = TXD
MISO = CTS

But, when i was reading the ATTiny 2313 datasheet, i doesn`t find the pin "SCK"....
Where is it ????!!!!!
====================================================================================
Q3: plz can you show me the usb/serial converter that i must use it with the above circuit...
mohd

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.