Feather M0 Basic Proto arrived DOA

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: Feather M0 Basic Proto arrived DOA

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Great!

Maverick123

Post by Maverick123 »

I am having a similar problem to what was stated in this thread before.

I have a feather M0 which has worked perfectly until now, however it doesn't show up as a port anymore. I have tried to upload blink with verbose upload turned on in the Arduino IDE (1.6.8 for Mac), and double clicked the reset button to put it into bootloading mode. The a new port is however not recognized. Also running ls /dev in the terminal doesn't show the device. Luckily I have another feather M0, which does show up in the Arduino IDE and as a device in the terminal as: tty.usbmodemFA141, using the same USB cable. Is there anything else I could do to troubleshoot the first M0?

adafruit_support_rick

You followed this procedure?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... /faq#faq-3

When you put it into bootloader mode, did the red LED start pulsing?

Maverick123

Post by Maverick123 »

Yes, I followed those steps and the LED did start pulsing red.

However, by unplugging it from the breadboard and all cables attached to it, I have been able to get it running again.
Last edited by Maverick123 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Can you post pictures of your setup and connections and explain what it is you are trying to do and what running means.

Maverick123

Post by Maverick123 »

Hi franklin97355,

Thank you for your interest. I am not able to post pictures of my setup at this moment, however I can explain you what I am trying to do.
I am using a Feather M0 as an SPI Slave (using SERCOM4), to generate PWM signals to drive two Pololu Dual MC33926 motor driver carriers. As an SPI Master I am using a Raspberry Pi 3B.

I am now only testing with one Dual MC33926. Therefore I have made the connections as shown in the Fritzing diagram.

I am using the auxiliary SPI bus of the raspberry, and the Feather M0 configured as a SERCOM4 SPI Slave. That is why:
  • PA12 (MISO) is used as MOSI: mosi (GPIO20)
    PB09 (A2) is used as SCK: sclk (GPIO21)
    PB10 (MOSI) is used as SS: ce2 (GPIO16)
    PB11 (SSK) is used as MISO: miso (GPIO19)
The white and orange connections are PWM signals to each side of the H-bridge.
The blue connections are current feedback signals.
Raspberry+singleFeatherM0_bb.png
Raspberry+singleFeatherM0_bb.png (497.29 KiB) Viewed 1637 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

your best bet is to remove wires until you can upload again, and that will help you figure out what it is that is causing the m0 to 'choke' and not enumerate?

Acornrider

Post by Acornrider »

Not sure if this will help. I ran into the same problem initially when I followed the tutorial on adafruit tried to get my Adafruit Feather 32u4 setup for the first time. I was following the tutorial mindlessly. When I uploaded the Blink sketch for the first time, I heard my USB was disconnected, and on bottom of the IDT output window, my COM number jumped to COM number+1 and gave me a "no device found" error.

I realized later that I should pick "Adafruit Feather 32u4" not "Adafruit Feather M0" as the tutorial instructed. That solved the COM jumping problem for me. Neopixel Featherwing is so pretty~

Hope this helps someone who don't know the universe of Adafruit feather products but wanted to just get 1 board work.

hughbee

Post by hughbee »

I have three Feather M0 Packet Radio Units, part number 3176. Two of them work but the third one will not enter program mode. Using the same cable, I tried all three.. I am able to get the two that work into program mode using the reset button double press. The third one will not enter program mode. I also have a NeoPixel Jewel 7, part number 2859 that only the first four pixels work. Using the circuit drawings and meter to measure the 5 volt dc voltage, I have found that the fifth LED does not have power. What is the process for getting these items replaced?

adafruit_support_rick

Please email [email protected] with a link to this post for a replacement PID 3176 and a replacement Jewel

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hughbee wrote:I have three Feather M0 Packet Radio Units, part number 3176. Two of them work but the third one will not enter program mode. Using the same cable, I tried all three.. I am able to get the two that work into program mode using the reset button double press. The third one will not enter program mode. I also have a NeoPixel Jewel 7, part number 2859 that only the first four pixels work. Using the circuit drawings and meter to measure the 5 volt dc voltage, I have found that the fifth LED does not have power. What is the process for getting these items replaced?
can you post up the error message that Arduino shows when it tried to upload the third M0?

hughbee

Post by hughbee »

My computer will not recognize the one that is bad. I tried two other new units that I have not soldered headers on and the computer recognizes them.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hugh, what does the device manager show?

hughbee

Post by hughbee »

The non functioning unit does not show anything in the Device Manager. The functioning unit shows as a USB Composite Device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers and it also shows as a COM port.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

huh ok lets replace it! email support@adafruit for a new one :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”