Gemma can't find USBtiny device

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hoppyfuggles

Gemma can't find USBtiny device

Post by hoppyfuggles »

Hello! I just received my Gemma v.2 yesterday in the mail and I can't get anything to upload.

Here's the error:
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

Board is set to: Adafruit Gemma 8MHz
Programmer is set to: USBtinyISP

I am pressing the reset button to bring it into bootloader mode before uploading the simple Blink code. Bootloader mode still blinks for a second after the upload completes (and then switches off) so I know it's not timing out. I've also tried three different (2.0) USB cables so I'm thinking I can rule that out.

I was reading somewhere that I may need to update the avrdude.conf file but I'm not sure how. I'm on a MacBook Air and I can't seem to find anything. Nor am I 100% that it's out of date; I just re-installed my IDE, running v. 1.6.9.

I have a Flora that runs just fine so I know my Adafruit board pack is ok too.

Also, when I go to upload a new program, will I have to go through this bootloader process again?

Any help would be much appreciated!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Gemma can't find USBtiny device

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Try putting a cheap/old USB hub between the Mac and the Gemma.

There's a known issue with the Gemma bootloader having trouble talking to USB-3 ports, which are standard on all recent Macs. Older and lower-cost USB hubs use USB-2, and act as protocol translators.

hoppyfuggles

Post by hoppyfuggles »

I'm now using this on a PC with 2.0 USB hubs and it's still not working. I'm getting the same error over and over again.

Also, I find it odd that to return an item to Adafruit you have to use the Contact Form but there's no category for "returns" in the drop down menu. Anyone know how to return an item?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

We handle returns and replacements here in the forums.

About 80% of posts that contain the word 'defective' involve working hardware that's connected or configured incorrectly. We help people get those working as they should, and identify the causes of failure for the ones that really don't work. For hardware failures or production defects, we do full replacement at no charge.

It sounds like you've done all the appropriate troubleshooting, so let's try another Gemma.

Send a note with a link to this thread and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you another Gemma.

scrapmatic

Post by scrapmatic »

I am having the same issue. Support also sent me to the forum, I have gone through all the same steps and have been trouble shooting all week with no luck. Even worse, the chips won't go into boot mode most of the time when I hit the reset button. When it does and I actual get code to it, it won't run the code I have two different gemma's the Adafruit one and the Arduino and neither of them work, but all my other Adafruit and Arduino chips work. Whats wrong with the Gemma? can you please replace them as I am officially frustrated.

adafruit_support_mike

First, verify your USB cable by connecting a known-working device with it. We see at least one person a day get caught by a charge-only cable.

If the cable is good, what OS are you using and what do the Gemmas do when you press the reset button?

nataliab

Post by nataliab »

The USB 3.0 incompatibility for Adafruit and Arduino Gemma needs to be listed under FAQs for Arduino/Adafruit Gemma. I ran into this issue and looking for a USB compatibility note at the bottom of the intro page was not the most intuitive first debug step.

AHairyBeast

Post by AHairyBeast »

I ordered a Gemma and I couldn't get it to blink, even after all of the tutorials. I then ordered another Gemma and on the 3rd cable I was finally able to get the "Blink" program to upload.....However, I can't get it to upload anything else. I just changed the blink rate to make sure that I could manipulate the Gemma, and I keep getting "avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)". Now, my second Gemma is stuck on blink. I changed the blink rate back and tried again (in case that somehow made any difference), but no luck. When I press the button, the red LED goes dim, but doesn't blink and I can't upload anything. When I press it again, it goes back to blinking.

So far, these things aren't very fun.

doohinkus

Post by doohinkus »

I haven't been able to get the Gemma to work on my Mac or on Linux Mint. I have followed the Ada Fruit tutorial, installed the AdaFruit Gemma board and selected USBTinyISP. But the Gemma keeps giving me this error on the Mac:

"Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)"

YES I have been pressing the bootloader button before uploading my sketches. The light, however, doesn't pulse; instead, it shines for a moment then shuts off.

I've watched a few Youtube Videos: when the bootloader button is pressed the red light pulses. Mine doesn't pulse. Is my device defective or am I doing something wrong?

PS,
I have set up and used Arduino Unos on both machines and had no problems getting them to work.

adafruit_support_mike

Try putting a cheap/old USB hub between the computer and the Gemma.

Recent versions of the USB protocol have added startup signals that give the Trinket/Gemma bootloader problems. Failure to pulse the LED is a common symptom of that kind of problem. Older and cheaper USB hubs use USB-2, and work as protocol translators.

GornajurJarjar

Post by GornajurJarjar »

Hello, I'm having the same problem with my Gemma ... and I changed the cable for several 2.0, and still not working ... I checked the cables separately and work perfectly ... I have installed ubuntu 16.04, Does this have anything to do? ... I tried different versions of Arduino (1.8.2, 1.6.4 and 1.0) and none functioning .... Looking at Adafruit I found this:

"Linux is fairly picky about who can poke and prod at the USB port. You can always run avdude or Arduino IDE as root, which will make sure you have the proper permissions. Rule that will let any user (who is not root) connect to the USBtiny driver. That way you do not have to be root all the time!

Check http://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/avrdude#for-linux for what to add to your udev file. "

But I do not know if this works for me (I tried it from root and it did not work) and I have fear because I'm a mess as a programmer ...

Any new ideas I can do ... I'm a little frustrated

GornajurJarjar

Post by GornajurJarjar »

Hi again, I found this from J3Xś on the net:

Remove "is_at90s1200 = yes;" in avrdude.conf located in C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Arduino \ hardware \ arduino \ avr \ bootloaders \ gemma

And then install the Gemma drivers ... Which drivers are those? ...

GornajurJarjar

Post by GornajurJarjar »

I found another possible solution on this page:

Http://andijcr.github.io/blog/2014/07/3 ... ntu-14.04/

Again, it involves modifying the AVRdude configuration ... What do you think Mike ??? ... I know you answer the mails fast; So I'll wait one day before launching myself to change the configuration ... YES, I'm desperate !!! ...

adafruit_support_mike

Go ahead and give it a try, but make a backup copy of the file before you change things. That way you can revert to the base version if it doesn't work.

Our Trinket/Gemma FAQ has a refernece to the same link you posted above:

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... /faq#faq-2

GornajurJarjar

Post by GornajurJarjar »

Hi, Adafruit Technical Team;

Following indications from customer support team, I would like to initiate the process of replacement or refund for 2 defective products I bought past month. The situation is this:

I bought a Flora and Gemma microcontrollers. (INVOICE NO. 1439499). I have experienced differentes problems with them:

I have never could upload a program to Gemma... I always obtain: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f) .... I tried different solutions like change the usb cable (2.0 and 3.0), install different versions of arduino, modify the avr config, and even tried with other computers and platforms... Nothing works... I bought this because I understood, in agreement with the comercial information given in the webpage, that the compatibility problems of Gemma with Arduino were minor, but seems that they are incompatible... I searched the web and found that the device identified as 0X1781xc9f it is the Gemma itself... so the problem is not the bootloader or is it???

By other side, the JST connection of my Flora is not working.... it works with the usb connection taking energy from my computer, but it doesn't work if I change the source of energy.... I checked the battery with a multimeter; and connected it to the sequins directly, and they glowed... even if you test the external pads of the JST they still transmiting energy; but the plugin itself is not working... energy doesn't flow from the plugin to the JST pads... Seems as a welding problem...

I would like to find solutions to these problems... I already tried with the Forum
(viewtopic.php?f=24&t=97879&p=588686#p588686)..
but it doesn't work... if you know any solution I can implement on my home, please!!!...

But if not, I want to return this items.... they are not usefull with those disadvantages...

I will make an order soon, and I would like to know if I can return this items and get a credit to be compensed with the final value of the new order??

if is so, please tell me how is the procedure to do it
Client IP: 186.83.201.78

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”