Raspberry pi 3B won't boot (4 blinks)

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
joshgordon

Raspberry pi 3B won't boot (4 blinks)

Post by joshgordon »

I have discovered recently that a raspberry pi 3 Model B that I ordered from Adafruit in March (Order # 1036381-0497061004) is malfunctioning. Here's what I've tried in the process of troubleshooting:

- Re-flashed the SD card
- Flashed and tested with another SD card
- Tried the same SD card in another Raspberry pi 3 with the same power supply. (It booted correctly)
- Confirmed that there's 5 volts across pp1 and pp2

The pi seems to power on (red LED), but provides no network link or video out the HDMI port. The Green "ACT" LED flashes 4 times, which the internet suggested to me could be a bad SD card holder. I confirmed with a multimeter and visual inspection that all the pins are in the right spot and provide connectivity. I even made sure the solder connections on the SD card holder were good.

I'm pretty confident that I have an issue with the raspberry pi itself, rather than my SD card. What should I do from here?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Raspberry pi 3B won't boot (4 blinks)

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Your best bet will be to check with the RasPi Foundation: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

We don't have any experience troubleshooting board-level hardware issues on the RasPi, and our return/replace period lasts 30 days. The Foundations engineers may be able to give you more information about debugging or possibly resolving the problem.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”