Arduino CAN-BUS OBD Gas Gauge

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
winneymj

Arduino CAN-BUS OBD Gas Gauge

Post by winneymj »

My inspiration for developing this gas gauge was after purchasing a new car (Scion Xa) and wondering what MPG I was getting. After much research on ODBII protocols (Scions support CAN-BUS), and looking into open source software that already existed (OBDuino32K) I delved into my first Arduino project. This project has taken me over a year to put together from building my own CAN-BUS shield, learning to design a circuit board, soldering SMD parts and then building my own enclosure so I could mount it in my car.
Sorry about the limited details on how to build it. Next project I will document fully. Click here for details.

cstratton

Re: Arduino CAN-BUS OBD Gas Gauge

Post by cstratton »

Cool project! And creative idea with the kerfed wood to make the curved housing walls.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Very nice work! Thanks for posting :D

cruzer

Post by cruzer »

A lot of us like building small gadgets and a lot of us like driving. Why not combine both by providing an adafruit-OBD2 open source adapter which can communicate with any smartphone via bluetooth? Add a little software skeleton for android and maybe iOS to access the devide and let the people write their own software (for me, I have some GPS-based fuel-recorder in mind which after a little time learned your daily route and can suggest the most fuel-efficient driving). I'm especially asking, because I don't have the time to develop the whole electronics from ground-up, but like soldering and tweaking electronics as well as writing software.

jorloujr

Post by jorloujr »

winneymj, I simply loved it !

I have it up and running in debug mode waiting for my MCP2515 + MCP2551 to arrive, eager to plug it in my car ... ( Arduino Uno + LCD keypad shield )

There are a couple of things I´d like to see modified to suit my needs and many other users I guess:

First and very important one: display fuel consumption in kilometers per liter [ km/l ] instead of liters per 100 km [ l/100 km ]. That´s the way people understand it in many countries around the world, it will be utterly useful. We must have this option, otherwise one of the most important OBDuino functions is useless to many people ...

Second: I´ve got a LCD keypad shield like this one:

www.dfrobot.com/index.php?rout...]LCD Shield For Arduino

I tweaked the code to suit the display pinout and it works fine but the keypad is of the analog kind and adapting the code is not so easy for an Arduino noobie ... that shield is very popular among 'duino entusiasts, this mod would make life a lot easier by a great deal and would benefit many.

Thank you so much, buddy ;-)

cruzer

Post by cruzer »

My interest decreased significantly after I've purchased an ELM327 compatible bluetooth OBD adapter (cheaper than an Arduino board) which easily can be accessed from an Android smartphone.

l5o5g5a5n5

Post by l5o5g5a5n5 »

@winneymj unfortunately the page you linked to is down. is there any way you could post the source code?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”