Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Pins covered with paint
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pins covered with paint

by kugler on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:58 pm

arduino_mega_2560_dfu_jumpers.png
jumper pads on rev 1
arduino_mega_2560_dfu_jumpers.png (66.96 KiB) Viewed 615 times
arduino_mega_2560_dfu_jumpers.png
jumper pads on rev 1
arduino_mega_2560_dfu_jumpers.png (66.96 KiB) Viewed 615 times
I have recently erased the bootloader in my Arduino mega2560r3. Searching various forumns, I have found that I can restore the board using the atmel flip utility.
there are two sets of pins that must be shorted/released in sequence to put the board in DFU mode (https://www.virtuabotix.com/how-to-cure ... -syndrome/ ). This is shown for the mega rev1, and on my mega, these pins appear tpo be covered with white paint.
Can you give me the location of these pins so that I can scrape off the paint, or can you give me alternate points for these points?

Thank you

kugler

Re: Pins covered with paint

by franklin97355 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:33 pm

Can you post a picture of your board? The megas I've seen have a header on those pins on the front.

franklin97355

by adafruit_support_rick on Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:38 pm

You can restore the bootloader using a programmer and the Arduino IDE, as well.

adafruit_support_rick

by kugler on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:43 pm

Hi,

How would I do that? I only have the MEGA2560 R3, and it will not communicate via the USB..
I do not have a Dragon, but I do have the Atmel ICE. I am afraid to connect the ICE, since that is what wiped the boot-loader in the first place. Is there anything I can do short of getting a dragon or some other mail order item?

Thanks,

Bob

kugler

by adafruit_support_rick on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:47 pm

No USB? Which chip did you try to program? The mega has a main processing chip (mega2560) in the center of the board, and the ICSP header for programming that is right next to it.
It has a smaller chip (a 16U2) which handles the USB. The ICSP header pins for that are next to the AREF socket.

If you wiped out the 16U2, you'll have to get the firmware for that from the Arduino site. I don't have a link offhand. You would attach your programmer to the ICSP pins up near the corner of the board.

If you wiped out the bootloader on the mega2560, connect your programmer to the ICSP header (pin 1 is indicated by a white dot), select the appropriate programmer type in the Arduino Programmer menu, and then select Burn Bootloader in the Tools menu.

I'm not familiar with the Atmel ICE, but I see it listed as a programmer type in the Arduino Programmer menu, so maybe you're OK.

adafruit_support_rick

by kugler on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi Nick,
I did some more research, and the atmel ICE should be supported, but I have to upgrade avrsude to V6.1
The Arduino V1.6.7 IDE has avrdude V6.01, and this does not recognize the Atmel ICE
I was using the correct ISP header (the one next to the reset button).
When I get it working I will post again.

Thanks,

Bob

kugler

by kugler on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:05 pm

kugler

by adafruit_support_rick on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:24 am

The Atmel-ICE is listed in the Arduino Programmers menu. I'm surprised that the distribution avrdude doesn't support it.

adafruit_support_rick

by kugler on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:50 pm

I have no clue :) I am new to the Atmel devices, and I am trying to make sense of it all.
Its kind of a pain that wiping the bootloader can Brick a board.
Thank you very much for your help, I may need more :)

Bob

kugler

by kugler on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:11 pm

Can you help me with this? I am confused and drowning in tools, software and forum posts.
If you want, I can post this as a separate topic.

History:

I bought an Arduino MEGA 2560 R3 and a resistive touch shield from Adafruit. I installed the Adafruit libraries and the "touchpaint"
application example code. After a few mistakes, it ran perfectly. The hardware and Adafruit code are really great! It was very impressive.
I found that the Arduino IDE does not have full debugging capability, so I installed Armel studio 7, and purchased an Atmel ICE debugger.

How I shot off my foot:

I loaded your Blink project into Atmel studio, connected the Atmel ICE to the ICSP pins on the Arduino Mega (the 6 pin header by the reset button),
and then tried to compile the code in Atmel studio 7.
It compiled fine, and I used the programmer dialog in Studio 7 to program the blink code into the MEGA2560. This did not work, so I decided to go back to the Arduino IDE and use "printf"'s for a while.
*Note that with the Atmel ICE, I had to use a 9V power adapter on the MEGA while the ICE was connected to the ICSP connector, and the ICE was connected to the USB port (rather than the Mega).

I disconnected the Atmel ICE, plugged the computer USB back into the MEGA USB, and tried to compile and program the "blink" example into the MEGA.
The code compiled OK, but avrdude timed out, reporting that the programmer was not responding.
I started searching forums, and posted on this forum a few times, but I have not been able to get the board to respond. In the Atmel forums, I noticed that avrdude cannot connect to the board if the boot loader is probably gone, so my assumption is that the boot loader was erased by the Atmel ICE.
I later found this issue listed on one of the forums.

I believe that the Atmel chip was never reprogrammed through all of this activity, because my original "blink" program is still running when I power up the board. I know it is my project because I changed the flash rate to 200 ms, and that is what is running.
I know that you mentioned the Atmel ICE should be listed, but it is not (see picture), unless it is a different name in the list.

avrdude reports itself as V6.0.1, and the link I posted earlier says the ICE needs >V6.1, however since you find it listed in your Arduino IDE, I am afraid to keep digging myself in deeper.
Do you know what I can do to recover the boot loader? I don't think I affected the (16U2?) interface chip, because I never connected anything to the 8 pin header near the USB connector on the MEGA, however I am not sure I did not do something else that was stupid.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
[img]C:\Original_100\Maguffin\MaguffinCode\Tech_Documents\Screenshots\img_0197.jpg[/img]
[img]C:\Original_100\Maguffin\MaguffinCode\Tech_Documents\Screenshots\IMG_0199.JPG[/img]
[img]C:\Original_100\Maguffin\MaguffinCode\Tech_Documents\Screenshots\IMG_0200.JPG[/img]
[img]C:\Original_100\Maguffin\MaguffinCode\Tech_Documents\Screenshots\IMG_0202.JPG[/img]

kugler

by kugler on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:14 pm

pictures
Attachments
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG (110.35 KiB) Viewed 435 times
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG (132.84 KiB) Viewed 435 times
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG (81.3 KiB) Viewed 435 times

kugler

by kugler on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:16 pm

last pix
Attachments
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG (93.13 KiB) Viewed 435 times

kugler

by franklin97355 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:42 pm

franklin97355

by adafruit_support_rick on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:59 am

I don't know why the Atmel ICE isn't listed for you. Try installing some of the board packages in the Boards Manager. Maybe that's where I got it from.
Probably comes with the Arduino Due and/or the Arduino SAMD Zero board packages.

But once you have it in the programmers list, the procedure is easy. Just select Atmel ICE, select the Mega Board Type, and then select Burn Bootloader.

adafruit_support_rick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.