Adafruit Data Logger Shield
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Adafruit Data Logger Shield

by jess_gail on Wed May 15, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi there,

I have another troubleshooting question: I have the Adafruit SD logger shield connected to my arduino via header pins. It has an LCD, two buttons, and a CO2 sensor attached. Last week, it was functioning perfectly, but today I went to plug it into my computer via USB to upload some new code and it doesn't work. If I disconnect the shield from the arduino Uno and plug that in by itself, it is powered on and recognized as a port. When I add the logger shield, no lights on the shield turn on and the arduino is no longer recognized. I can feel some heat being generated on the arduino under the USB port; did I short circuit my board?
Attachments
IMG_5559_small.jpg
IMG_5559_small.jpg (866.75 KiB) Viewed 59 times

jess_gail

by jess_gail on Wed May 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Another photo:
Attachments
IMG_5560_small.jpg
IMG_5560_small.jpg (829.25 KiB) Viewed 59 times

jess_gail

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed May 15, 2019 1:24 pm

That does sound like a short circuit. Looks like it could be on the board itself, or possibly in your wiring to one of the off-board components.

adafruit_support_bill

by jess_gail on Wed May 15, 2019 5:54 pm

I'm not sure how to identify what the problem/where the short circuit is. The board and shield as-is was working last week - I had it running for about 24 hours with no problems. I also have another set-up exactly the same and it is functioning. This is the first time I've powered either of them on since then. Do you have any recommendations on troubleshooting it?

jess_gail

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed May 15, 2019 7:31 pm

It looks like you have several devices powered by 5v and GND. So the most likely cause is a short circuit between +5v and GND. You can verify that by measuring the resistance between +5v and GND with a multimeter. A low resistance would be an indication of a short circuit.

To narrow down the cause, you can start disconnecting your devices one-by-one and re-checking the resistance. When the low-resistance condition goes away, the last device you disconnected was the culprit.

adafruit_support_bill

by jess_gail on Thu May 16, 2019 11:13 am

Thank you! I have an idea of what the problem is - the potentiometer for the LCD is not grounded! I have the ground wire connected to a GND power rail but that power rail is not connected to an actual ground pin. Does it make sense that it could be the problem? Why wouldn't it have caused a problem when I was first using it? Did I maybe burn through something?

jess_gail

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu May 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Missing a ground would give you unpredictable readings from the pot. But it would not explain the heating.

Heating is usually caused by a short circuit. That is typically where something that should not have a direct path to ground - does.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.