Adafruit Data Logger Shield
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Adafruit Data Logger Shield

by jess_gail on Wed May 15, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi there,

I have another troubleshooting question: I have the Adafruit SD logger shield connected to my arduino via header pins. It has an LCD, two buttons, and a CO2 sensor attached. Last week, it was functioning perfectly, but today I went to plug it into my computer via USB to upload some new code and it doesn't work. If I disconnect the shield from the arduino Uno and plug that in by itself, it is powered on and recognized as a port. When I add the logger shield, no lights on the shield turn on and the arduino is no longer recognized. I can feel some heat being generated on the arduino under the USB port; did I short circuit my board?
Attachments
IMG_5559_small.jpg
IMG_5559_small.jpg (866.75 KiB) Viewed 98 times

jess_gail

by jess_gail on Wed May 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Another photo:
Attachments
IMG_5560_small.jpg
IMG_5560_small.jpg (829.25 KiB) Viewed 98 times

jess_gail

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed May 15, 2019 1:24 pm

That does sound like a short circuit. Looks like it could be on the board itself, or possibly in your wiring to one of the off-board components.

adafruit_support_bill

by jess_gail on Wed May 15, 2019 5:54 pm

I'm not sure how to identify what the problem/where the short circuit is. The board and shield as-is was working last week - I had it running for about 24 hours with no problems. I also have another set-up exactly the same and it is functioning. This is the first time I've powered either of them on since then. Do you have any recommendations on troubleshooting it?

jess_gail

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed May 15, 2019 7:31 pm

It looks like you have several devices powered by 5v and GND. So the most likely cause is a short circuit between +5v and GND. You can verify that by measuring the resistance between +5v and GND with a multimeter. A low resistance would be an indication of a short circuit.

To narrow down the cause, you can start disconnecting your devices one-by-one and re-checking the resistance. When the low-resistance condition goes away, the last device you disconnected was the culprit.

adafruit_support_bill

by jess_gail on Thu May 16, 2019 11:13 am

Thank you! I have an idea of what the problem is - the potentiometer for the LCD is not grounded! I have the ground wire connected to a GND power rail but that power rail is not connected to an actual ground pin. Does it make sense that it could be the problem? Why wouldn't it have caused a problem when I was first using it? Did I maybe burn through something?

jess_gail

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu May 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Missing a ground would give you unpredictable readings from the pot. But it would not explain the heating.

Heating is usually caused by a short circuit. That is typically where something that should not have a direct path to ground - does.

adafruit_support_bill

by jess_gail on Wed May 29, 2019 11:56 am

Hi there! I have yet another question related to the Adafruit SD logger shield. I hope to leave my sensor system in the field for a day or two at a time and have it log every 15 minutes. I have the new version of the Adafruit SD logger shield which uses the PCF8523 RTC. I cannot find any examples of how to set an alarm with that RTC. I did see that Adafruit has a Circuit python library for the PCF8523, which includes alarms - can that be somehow converted to Arduino code? I've seen a lot of people posting on the Adafruit forum asking about this but without any replies.

Thank you!

jess_gail

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed May 29, 2019 1:27 pm

The chip does have alarm capability, so it should be possible to implement in the C++. But there is currently no alarm capability for any of the RTC modules supported by RTCLib.

Another option is to switch to one of the Metro Express boards. These are compatible with the shield - and can be programmed in Python.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3505

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.