Arduino App Compatibility With MacOS Catalina
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino App Compatibility With MacOS Catalina

by bcochran1 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi!

Since MacOS "Catalina" has been released, I'm wondering if Adafruit's version of the Arduino IDE will work under it. Catalina doesn't allow 32 bit apps. I'm using OS X "Mojave". Perhaps I should stay with that a little longer?

Thanks so much

Bob

bcochran1

Re: Arduino App Compatibility With MacOS Catalina

by oesterle on Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi, Bob.

As far as I know, Adafruit doesn't make a custom version of the Arduino IDE. I use the official one, downloadable at arduino.cc.

The Release Notes indicate that Arduino has been tweaking the IDE for macOS 10.15 Catalina. However, I see unresolved issues like this one on Github: Latest Arduino (1.8.10) does not work under the final Catalina release (10.15 Build 19A583) · Issue #9290 · arduino/Arduino I'd suggest watching that repo for bug fixes.

Because of this, and many other incompatibilities, as much as I'd like to upgrade to Catalina, I'm holding off for now.

Additionally, Arduino IDE 1.8.10 is reportedly not using an up-to-date certificate. I'll be watching activity in the Arduino forums, as well, before I decide to upgrade.

Cheers,

Eric

oesterle

by bcochran1 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi Eric!

Thank you so much for letting me know. I too will wait for the various issues to get fixed.

Bob

bcochran1

by lisleman on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:27 pm

I wish I read this before I decided to upgrade to Mac OS 10.15 Catalina a few days ago. Yes the Arduino IDE which I use most all the time BROKE after the update. (I've only played around with CircuitPython a little bit.)
I updated the IDE to 1.8.10 and immediately got a Mac OS message saying the software Integrity cannot be verified and the program could not be run. I really didn't think the Arduino code was hacked but I decided to go back to an earlier version of the IDE 1.8.9. That didn't work. Probably because the removing of the IDE was not clean. I then had a problem with multiple libraries. Finally I discovered the thread on GitHub discussing this 64bit OS issue. I reinstalled IDE 1.8.10 and it's working fine now. Here's the link to the thread that helped me. https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/pull/8976

It's all working now but you need to force the IDE to run by getting around the Mac OS warning.
To make MacOS launch it without being verified simply go into your applications folder on your mac, right click the Arduino app and click open.
After doing that once it seems to remember and let it be opened afterwards without warning.

lisleman

by bcochran1 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:21 am

Hi,

Are there any recent Catalina adopters having trouble with the Arduino IDE? I'm still on Mojave and not in any rush to upgrade. For a Halloween project I'm using an ItsyBitsy M0 Express and the latest CircuitPython 4.1.0 and the latest mu editor as well. That seems to work, at least with the tutorial code. I have a lot to learn about Python. It's no worse than Node.js I suppose!

I'm also tempted to install 'arduino-cli' on Debian 10 and see how if that works at all.

Overall I wish the developers of the Arduino IDE would get their app approved by Apple so it works from the get-go.

Thanks so much

Bob

bcochran1

by james450 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:34 am

The app does not work in macOS Catalina and I get an iTunes error which says sync session failed to start

james450

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.