Feathers not detected on Windows
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feathers not detected on Windows

by jonathanmoody on Sat May 15, 2021 9:23 pm

I have used a bunch of different arduino boards, including the feathers, which are great. It's been about a 6 months since I last plugged any arduino type devices into my Windows laptop. Last week I went to add something to an older project on a Feather Huzzah ESP8266, and found that the "Port" option under tools was greyed out. I tried two different Huzzah boards, and a feather proto basic 32u4 board and found the same thing. I also noticed that I windows does not seem to detect the boards when they are plugged in. There is no sound, and they do not show up in the device manager (this is different from not being 'recognized', it is like they are not even being plugged in)

I tried a regular UNO and it still works fine, and I uninstalled and reinstalled the Arduino IDE, reinstalled the adafruit boards, and downloaded the adafruit windows drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled them. I followed the tutorial from scratch. I even downloaded the ESP8266 drivers from silicon labs and tried reinstalled them. I still get no response from windows when I install them. I am using a Dell XPS which only has USB C ports so I am also using a USB-C converter, but like I said, it is working fine with an old UNO. What am I doing wrong?????!

jonathanmoody

Re: Feathers not detected on Windows

by blnkjns on Sun May 16, 2021 3:16 am

Try double-tap the reset after inserting the board. Does that help?

blnkjns

by jonathanmoody on Sun May 16, 2021 5:48 pm

Yes, I tried that, and the lights on the board flash briefly, but there is no response on the computer.

jonathanmoody

by blnkjns on Sun May 16, 2021 11:31 pm

What happens on another machine with regular USB or on a Macbook with USB-C? You don't need to install all Arduino stuff on that, just check whether the boards mount as drive.
What UNO do you have? A real one with a 16u2 chip near the USB port (square with pins on four sides) or a cheap clone with a rectangular CH 340 chip?

blnkjns

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon May 17, 2021 10:08 pm

As a sanity check, verify your USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to the computer. There's a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends but no wires for the data signals.

Just swapping cables has no diagnostic value. It's normal for people to say they had to try three or four cables before finding one with a data connection. You need the true positive of a working USB connection to rule out the false negative of a charge-only cable.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.