Tracking Point a to Point B to Point c Speed / Motion for Sp

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sasquatch781

Tracking Point a to Point B to Point c Speed / Motion for Sp

Post by sasquatch781 »

I figured I would post here but looking to build something to help me track the tempo / speed of shots in the sport of curling. In this game you have a shooter sliding on the ice with a stone pushing it to a goal point. Then two sweepers who step in and sweep to help the shot make it to the goal destination.

Today when we practice we use laser timers which trip as the stone passes one gate and stops when it hits the second gate. In a perfect world we would time two different splits. We would time what we call the backline to hog and then hog to hog. With laser timers its easy to did the line to hog but hog to hog gets difficult.

That is where I was thinking it might be fun to try and build something. The biggest issue with getting good timing is you have two sweepers walking with the stone as it travels down the ice. this often triggers the laser timing gates unintentionally. I was thinking maybe it could use a camera and determine if the object was the stone, but that could be obstructed occasionally by a sweeper, or the time it takes to recognize could throw the timing off.

What I was wondering is there a small device I could buy/build that I could attach to the stone and it trip the gates as it passes each way point? Thinking longer term I would imagine I could maybe track drifting and moition down the road as well.

Keeping things in scope, in simplest terms, I would like to just be able to collect split times of a to b and then b to c down to one hundredth of a second only when the stone trips a gate. not when a person trips it. Just posting to see if anyone had ideas to help me on the way.

Thanks in advance!

mikeysklar

Re: Tracking Point a to Point B to Point c Speed / Motion fo

Post by mikeysklar »

Thanks for the visual diagram.

You could continue using laser based line break sensors, but there are a lot of interesting distance measuring techniques available to you.

I would try to use two lidar sensors on each end of the hog line interval to continuously measure the stones progress. Each one of these can read 10m.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4441

sasquatch781

Re: Tracking Point a to Point B to Point c Speed / Motion fo

Post by sasquatch781 »

Interesting, I'll play around with it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”