New Arduino not accepting communication.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

New Arduino not accepting communication.

by robin.polak on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:20 pm

All I can manage to get out of my Arduino is error:pin 2-3 at 38400 baud 8-n-1. I can see this msg either by having a terminal emulator open such as tera term pro or the Arduino IDE. When I select to upload it hangs and I can only get the Arduino IDE to respond again by pressing the reset button 3 times.
robin.polak

Re: New Arduino not accepting communication.

by adafruit on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:10 am

I've never seen that error before, can you take a screenshot of the Arduino IDE when you get this error?

adafruit

by robin.polak on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:07 pm

I figured that I should try to DL the new Arduino IDE before continuing and by god it worked. I believe it is because I have a Arduino Duemilanove with the ATMega328, and the new IDE has a profile for not only Arduino Duemilanove it has profiles for each processor type. The error has vanished.
robin.polak

by trialex on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Exactly the same error... but I still get it having updated to IDE 0015. This is a brand-new bootloaded '328.

trialex

by trialex on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:32 pm

OK by playing around with various timings of pushing the reset button I got it working - looks like the '328 bootloader is not as forgiving timing-wise as the '168s.

Works in 0013 by the way too.
trialex

by adafruit on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 pm

thats a strange error. and you get that when you UPLOAD to the arduino because it looks like thats the output from the serial monitor...

adafruit

by trialex on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:38 pm

That is the output from the '328 when you open the serial monitor and set it to 38400. These were fresh bootloaded '328s from nkcelectronics.com.

It's not really anything to do with the uploading process, but when you hit the upload button, it opens the serial port, and if the bootloader isn't at the exact right point listening for the new program, it starts outputting this message at ~3Hz.

I'm still running an "Extreme" arduino (pre-NG), so there is no auto-reset. Apparently my timing skills for the pushing of the reset button and the pushing of the upload button in the IDE needed some tweaking for the '328.

I think the most reliable way is to push the upload IDE button first, then hit the reset button on the board - the IDE doesn't send anything until the serial port is open at the board end. I think if I was running a sketch that used the serial port though I may have to reset the board to "end" the sketch, then hit upload, then hit reset again.
trialex

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.