Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality.

Arduino/wave shield-based sampler stomp box
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino/wave shield-based sampler stomp box

by ctrombley on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:20 pm

So I've recently had the inclination to put together a small digital sampler that would sit in a guitar pedal enclosure. The basic idea is to have something infinitely portable that I can trigger pre-recorded samples from and plug directly in the middle of my guitar effects chain. The wave shield seems like a great start to get something like this done. I've built numerous analog effects boxes before but this would be my first microcontroller-based project so I just wanted to get some initial feedback. It doesn't seem like it would be a huge stretch to modify the circuit to add an lcd screen & rotary switch (to select samples off the sd card), 1/4" I/O jacks, maybe true bypass and finally a mix/blend control for guitar/sampler signal outs. Can anyone share some words of wisdom, or point out potential problems? Thanks!!!

Chris
ctrombley

Re: Arduino/wave shield-based sampler stomp box

by adafruit on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:16 pm

yup, you can totally do this. i suggest using an arduino with a '328p chip since you may need the extra ram and storage
get the waveshield working first, then integrate the extras

adafruit

by craque on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:18 am

actually the whole reason i picked up an arduino & wave shield was for exactly this.

i do experimental music with a lot of improvisation, and wanted a rudimentary way to trigger and loop pre-made sounds. i'm actually pretty far along now, got the wave shield working, got the power supply and switch built, and am working on adding other internals.

it will be simple but i want to set it up in such a way that it is flexible depending on what software i'm running. my design incorporates a pot into the first analog input, five momentary buttons, and some combination of LEDs.

biggest challenge for me looks like it will be mounting this all in a chassis, and still be able to get to the SD card for adding more samples. i have a nice aluminum chassis i used for a little 2-osc synth that would work well, the ends screw off very easily.

even though i got it working with the factory version, i just ordered the 328 chip because i know i'll want the memory.

craque

by adafruit on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:47 pm

if one of y'all gets it working, -please- post up your final project when you're done. i know tons of people have asked me how to do this and i have no idea :)

adafruit

by ctrombley on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:16 pm

I'm definitely going to try & tackle this soon, its next on my project list. I'll definitely document it & put up a project page once it comes together.

craque: which size enclosure are you thinking about using? do your 5 momentary switches each have their own foot-sized trigger?
ctrombley

by craque on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:06 pm

made some good progress with this over the weekend!

here's a youtube video of a switch triggering the sample, and the pot changing the sample rate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKfGLWvXQG8

i will definitely post my final project on my blog and elsewhere (btw, the synth i just built: http://sounding.com/blog/?p=269)

@ctrombley: because i need to have the wave shield accessible to switch out the SD card, i have considered a nice strong wooden cigar box (the tobacconist near us sells his leftovers for a few bucks each) with a lid, or a metal enclosure of some sort that will afford me the same access. i'd really rather go aluminum because it shields nicely.

oh and i'm not designing this as a "guitar" pedal stompbox, it is part of my ever expanding homebuilt instrument improvisation rig. so no footpedal style stuff happening (not to say you couldn't operate it with your feet though).

craque

by adafruit on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:40 pm

that looks really great. im glad that sample rate hack came in handy, i was thinking it would be perfect for a sampler-type app and is one of the reasons i -like- playing WAV instead of MP3. the low-level control is excellent when you've got raw data

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.