Arduino as serial to SD data logger
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino as serial to SD data logger

by ryann on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Hello,
I have a question about the practicality of using the GPS/SD shield for my project. Rather than a GPS, I will be attaching an Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler (ADCP). The application I'm looking to build is a serial to SD logger with pass through.
We have some remote floating platforms with cellular modem where we are already gathering sensor data with an Onset TattleTale8. We would like to add an ADCP, but have reached some limits on the TT8 and our bandwidth. The ADCP will generate large amounts of serial data (up to 1GB/month). Rather than storing this data internally, so we need a diver to retrieve it, we want to have a cable from our floating platform.
The TT8 would issue commands "through" the arduino to start the ADCP sampling and then trigger the arduino to start logging data from the ADCP to the SD card. Every month when we visit the platform for maintenance, we would swap out the logger and remove the SD card when we got back to the lab.
So, do you think this can be done be somewhat of a novice?
Regards,
-Ryan

ryann

Re: Arduino as serial to SD data logger

by adafruit on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:19 pm

sounds ok. just skip the gps part and use the sdlog library
make sure you have a massive battery and do tons of testing!

adafruit

by ryann on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:28 pm

I've got an 85 watt solar panel and two group 31 batteries. There are other power users on the platform, but there's power to spare.

ryann

by phil.drummond on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:41 pm

Hey, if you proceed with your project, please post follow-ups about it. It sounds interesting... and I like the description of your power source :)

Phil
phil.drummond

by jrkennedy44 on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Given that you probably already have a significant amount of time and money invested in this data collection effort, I'd be a little hesitant to slap a homebrew data logger on there. If your budget allows, its just not worth risking losing a month of data if your code isn't perfect. There's lots of great data loggers out there, I'm sure you can find one that's programmable and will write to an SD card. If you were downloading every day or so, and could fix or at least spot problems as they come up, I'd say go for it.

If you want to proceed, the projects at this page might be useful:

http://www.compsys1.com/workbench/index.html

cheers,
Jeff
jrkennedy44

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.