Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

bootloader using softserial pins?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

bootloader using softserial pins?

by bvwelch on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:24 am

Greetings,
I know there are several different bootloaders available. Is there one that moves the bootloader functions away from the 'hardware' UART pins?

Such a bootloader would take up slightly more room to implement the bit-bang / software serial functions, but it would free up the 'hardware' UART for application-specific duty.

I realize it would involve minor rewiring of boards that have on-board FTDI USB chip, perhaps removing the series resistors, etc.

Thanks,
-bill
bvwelch

Re: bootloader using softserial pins?

by adafruit on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:38 pm

its an interesting idea, but unfortunately nobody has done it yet!

adafruit

Re: bootloader using softserial pins?

by bvwelch on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:26 am

Since so many cool Arduino projects are out there already, maybe that means I should step back and re-think, since no one else seems to need such a hack/mod to the bootloader.

I've got an app in mind that is basically a RS232 protocol converter between two external, non-PC nodes. One of the external boxes is at 115200! Sure would be nice to use the hardware Uart on that one.

I could develop without the bootloader-- I suspect that is what most folks are doing in these situations.

But part of the reason I am using Arduino is I wanted to see what all the 'fuss' is about. I've done embedded programming for many years but not with Arduino yet.

I may try moving the bootloader to different pins and implement soft serial. Plenty of room in the '328, right? But which pins might be least-likely used by others who might benefit from such a bootloader hack?

Thanks!
-bill
bvwelch

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.