Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Anyone tried the new 1K bootloader w/Arduino IDE?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Anyone tried the new 1K bootloader w/Arduino IDE?

by decibill on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:49 pm

There's a new guy in town that can give you an extra KB of code space:

http://spiffie.org/electronics/archives/microcontrollers/Have%20a%20KB%20on%20me!.html

I tried it with an Arduino Diecimila that had been upgraded with an ATMega328 (using a tinyUSB programmer, of course), and after flashing the 1K bootloader, it wouldn't accept a code-load (Blink sketch), so I went back to the original bootloader, and it was fine.

I replaced 3 files in the Arduino development build 0013 (I'm using Linux): boards.txt, atmegaboot_168_atmega328.hex, and atmegaboot_168_diecimila.hex. I had set the board type to an Arduino w/ATMega328. I didn't try it with an ATMega168.

Has anyone else tried the new bootloader, and have a different experience?

Thanks,

->Bill

decibill

Re: Anyone tried the new 1K bootloader w/Arduino IDE?

by adafruit on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:50 pm

dont forget to change the fuses too
did pin13 LED blink with the new bootloader?

adafruit

Re: Anyone tried the new 1K bootloader w/Arduino IDE?

by decibill on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:36 pm

According to: http://spiffie.org/know/arduino_1k_boot ... sing.shtml, the fuses are supposedly set properly in the new boards.txt file (replaces old boards.txt in the hardware directory of the Arduino development environment).

In regards to pin 13, do you mean pin 13 on the ATMega328 (PCINT23/AIN1) PD7 -- Pin 8 on J1 of the Diecimila, or pin 19 of the ATMega328 (SCK/PCINT5) PB5 -- Pin 6 on J3 (which connected to the on-board LED)? I'm guessing the on-board LED, which is also referred to as "digital pin" 13.

The yellow LED blinked rapidly while bootloading, then settled into a 1-second regular blink rate.
After unplugging the programmer, and plugging the Diecimla into the USB, the tx & rx lights blink, pin 13 blinks several times, then the rx light blinks once, and the pin 13 LED blinks several times - the rx/pin 13 blink sequence repeats 3 times, before the pin 13 light settles into blinking once/second. This happens each time I unplug & plug the USB cable back in (presumably this is O/S plug-n-play stuff).

Then when trying to download a new sketch, I see the tx & rx lights blink a few times, and then get the message:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding..

After restoring the original files, everything works fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

decibill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.