Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Trouble uploading sketch to ProMini via USB
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trouble uploading sketch to ProMini via USB

by problemchild on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:50 pm

OBJECTIVE
I have an Arduino "miniUSB": USB to TTL converter (FTDI) from AdaFruit and an Arduino Pro Mini - 5V/16MHz sku: DEV-08991 from SparkFun. I'm trying to load the blink example program onto the ProMini from the miniUSB.

PROBLEM
I get the following errors from the Arduino IDE after a delay of about 30 sec:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

The green LED on the ProMini continually repeats the pattern of blinking at an increasing rate until it is steadily on. The red LED is steady on.
The green LED on the miniUSB flashes briefly two or three times after initiating the download; then nothing.

The 'not in sync' message leads me to believe that the miniUSB is the root cause, but I can't be sure.

I had my software running on a Duemilanove with no problems. Now I'm trying to get it onto a ProMini for the production units and I can't even get it to blink.

I'VE TRIED
a) resetting the ProMini before, after, and at various delays after initiating the download.
b) updating the FTDI drivers on the programming host and repeating (a)
c) connecting the TX on the miniUSB to the RX on the ProMini and viceversa. (I know this seems strange, but the diagrams on Arduino and in Tom Igoe's book show TX connected to TX and RX to RX, contrary to intuition and usual practice.)
d) selecting both the Arduino Pro / Arduino Pro (8MHz) and the Arduino Mini board option in the IDE. (There is no Pro 16MHz option in the IDE)
e) I tried setting the serial.download_rate value in the Preferences file to 9600 per the Arduino site, but there is no such entry in my preferences.txt file.
f) updated the IDE from version 12 to 15.

SPECIFIC QUESTIONS
a) What suggestions do you have? I'm stuck.
b) Is is even possible to download to a ProMini from the MiniUSB in this way, or do I have to resort to a regular serial interface, change the boot loader, or something else?
c) How should the TX and RX really be connected?
d) is there a way to test the miniUSB by itself?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
problemchild

Re: Trouble uploading sketch to ProMini via USB

by adafruit on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:24 pm

I strongly suggest posting over at the sparkfun.com forums. They make and program the promini and can help you out with it and any specific issues that make it different than a plain ol' arduino.

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.