Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Trigger sampled Sounds
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trigger sampled Sounds

by soundog on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:56 pm

I am working on a project for school, and want to trigger sampled drum sounds via an Atmel chip/Arduiono (or similar). The Wave Shield project here sounds promising, but I am not sure if its response time would be quick enough. Basically, I want to be able to hit a piezo transducer, and have it trigger a sampled drum sound. So, the response time needs to be very fast (minimal latency).

The sounds could be stored on an SD/MMC card, I suppose, if that would be fast enough .... but I was wondering if there might be a chip that I could load and store sampled sounds on .... preferably at least 16-bit so the sound is of good quality. The drum sounds would be of short duration (like snare and kick drums), and I would like to be able to store a number of sounds (6 or so), that I could trigger.

No midi would be required, I would just like to have the piezo trigger the sample sound as directly and cheaply as possible.

No amplification would be required on the device, I would just need a line-level signal, which would plug into a guitar amp or mixer.

Thank you in advance for any ideas of components that might get me to my goal.
soundog

Re: Trigger sampled Sounds

by franklin97355 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:50 pm

Didn't you ask this same question in the general project help forum?

franklin97355

Re: Trigger sampled Sounds

by soundog on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:28 pm

Yes, I was not sure what was proper. I am sorry if this was bad.
soundog

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.