can't upload to iDuino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

can't upload to iDuino

by dragonfrog on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:33 am

I realize the iDuino isn't a supported board here, but I thought I'd try asking for help anyway.

I just built two iDuinos (Atmega168 with Diecimila bootloader, looks very similar to the Boarduino sold here; they're equivalent to a Diecimila from a programming perspective apparently). One works fine, the other I can't upload sketches to. If there's anything I can try to salvage the board, I'd appreciate it.

I get the dreaded:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I managed once to upload the blink sketch, so I know it works once you get past the hurdle of uploading, as it is forever blinking the pin 13 LED.

My setup - OS X 10.4.11 on an Intel iMac, Arduino IDE version 15, connecting directly (no hub) via USB to the iDuino. The OS X system profiler does show a FT232R USB UART on the USB bus when it's plugged in. When I try to upload, the board seems to reset - the pin 13 LED flickers, it looks like 3 times, a pause, then 2 times, the same pattern as when I hit the reset button.

I have tried, as I've seen suggested various places, running the iDuino off external power, but that doesn't seem to change anything.

With the exact same setup, I'm uploading to the 'good' iDuino without a hitch.

verbose output from running avrdude manually:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
$ ./avrdude -p atmega168 -vvvv -c stk500 -C /Applications/arduino-0015/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -P /dev/tty.usbserial-A8007RY8

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct  9 2007 at 11:20:31
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/arduino-0015/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/mark/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port            : /dev/tty.usbserial-A8007RY8
         Using Programmer      : stk500
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14]
avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

It looks like the board resets twice in there - once after the "Send: 0 [30] [20]" lines, and once around the first "Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14]" line.
dragonfrog

Re: can't upload to iDuino

by trialex on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Well it's hard to know exactly what's going wrong, but since you were able to upload to it at least one you can rule out the supply of a dodgy chip.

I'd guess that you've accidently done something to mess up the bootloader. Easiest way to recover is going to be to re-burn it using an ISP programmer
trialex

by dragonfrog on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 pm

OK, that makes sense, thank you.

Now I just have to figure out the best way to get a programmer together (if it can be done for much less than the cost of replacing the iDuino, anyway...)
dragonfrog

by trialex on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Well obviously there is ladyada's UsbTinyISP which is highly recommended, other wise you can go the simple parralel port + wires way. Arduino website has heaps of info is you search for "burning bootloader"
trialex

by dragonfrog on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:26 am

OK, the USBTiny is I think about the cost of a new iDuino; the wire-directly-to-the-parallel-port method just requires an older PC.

I have plenty to go on now though - thanks for your help, Trialex!
dragonfrog

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.