Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

Fried Arduino?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Fried Arduino?

by fran on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Hello all!

I think I have cooked something on my Arduino while tinkering with my servo shield! I was using the +5v, gnd, and exposed analog pins (for digital input), I had one switch wired up nicely so that when it was closed I read HIGH (using digitalRead), but when I tried to extend it to two switches I believe there was a faint smell of hot electronics and no response from the Arduino. Now neither of the computers that used to interface just fine with the Arduino can talk to it although an LED between 5v and gnd lights up. I googled the specific error message that I got when trying to connect, and there were a wide range of ways to fix it (because I think, the error message simply means it's getting no response from the Arduino) and I tried reinstalling drivers etc to no avail. I'm sorry I don't have the specific error message here, but I do not believe it is relevant as it was working fine before the addition of the extra switch and then died.

I have attached a drawing of the circuit I believe I made, and a picture of how it looked wired up (when there was only one switch) for reference.

IMG_0442_smaller.png
circuit drawing
IMG_0442_smaller.png (270.62 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
IMG_0440_smaller.png
one switch worked great
IMG_0440_smaller.png (336.23 KiB) Viewed 3861 times

What might have gone wrong? The analog pins can take 5v I think? Could the hook up wires have touched accidentally and caused this? As the Arduino still seems to have power I could put the servo shield on and take the multimeter to it and make sure it's not putting more than 5v to the 5v pin, but I don't see why it should be?

Trouble shooting tips appreciated, I don't want to cook the next one too!

Thank you!
fran

Re: Fried Arduino?

by fran on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Hello Again!

The errors I get when trying to upload a sketch now are:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

on win XP and something slightly different but signifying the same thing on mac osx I think. To which the solutions I found were:
Have you the right board selected under Tools -> Board? (yes I have and it was working before)
Have you the right COM port selected under Tools -> Serial Port? (yes I have and it was working before)
Try reinstalling the drivers (tried, didn't help)

Could it be anything else other than something broke?

I multimetered the ground and 5v I was using and they only have 5v across them, which shouldn't have burned the analog pin, right?

Thank you!
fran

by mtbf0 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:58 am

have you disconnected everything from the arduino and tried to program it that way?
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

by fran on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:58 am

Hello!

Yes, I took the servo shield off and just had an LED in pin 13 and ground (and the USB from the computer) and it won't program.

Thank you!
fran

by mtbf0 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:31 pm

got an icsp programmer?
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

by fran on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:56 pm

No . . .

Would that be the thing to let me burn a new bootloader to the chip?

This page http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Bootloader seems to imply that it's possible to break the boot loader on the chip by sending data at the wrong time? Does anyone have any knowledge / experience on this?

Making the parallel programmer looks like fun, maybe I'll give that a try. http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer
fran

by adafruit on Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:30 pm

you probably fried the chip, you'll need to replace it. reprogramming it will most likely not help/be possible

adafruit

by fran on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:17 pm

That is my worry / seems most likely. I can't imagine what it might have been that fried the chip though. Is there a way to test if it is dead?

I worry that it might be a defect with the way I put the servo shield together and the next one is going to go poof in the same way. If a voltage that should have been going to / coming out of one of the motor pins made it's way to the analog pin of the Arduino, that would fry the chip I would guess?

I could try replacing the chip with this guy (Arduino-bootloader speedy 2x upgrade chip (Atmega328)) right? http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=123
fran

by adafruit on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:16 pm

the photos arent really clear enough to see what happened
perhaps there was a miswiring

adafruit

by fran on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 pm

Ah

It looks very likely that the hookup wire in the 5v holes on the servo shield would have touched the legs on the chip underneath. Would that fry it?

I'll post back if the new chip makes it go again.
fran

by adafruit on Fri May 01, 2009 4:37 pm

yup that could do it

adafruit

by fran on Wed May 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Yay!

New chip makes it go again!

Took out the old one:
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (274.07 KiB) Viewed 3605 times

Put in the new one:
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (367.16 KiB) Viewed 3607 times

And it didn't work:
Until I pressed reset!:
Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (329.75 KiB) Viewed 3606 times

Thanks for your help!
fran

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.