Newbie - just looking for some pointers
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Newbie - just looking for some pointers

by PhilMonfie on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:56 am

I'm a newbie to Adafruit - more a software guy than electronics, but have a colleague who is more electronics than software.

What we are trying to achieve is have a Bluetooth connection from a smartphone (Ios/Android) to an Adafruit 'device', which transfers some text from the APP on the smartphone to a TFT display.

We are using;
Adafruit Uno
Adafruit Bluefruit LE SHield
OLEDBreakout board with the 16 bit color 1.27" display and microSD holder.

So far we have the electronics all connected and working to this point;

- Using the Example software (with mods) we can download a sketch and drive the display with text and graphics. (Using the 'test' or 'bmp' sample code provided).

- Using the iPhone Bluefruit APP I can connect to the device (But can't do much with this).

Does anyone have any sample code - or could provide any pointers for me to be able to send some data through the BLE to device then on to the display.
I know I have hours and days of reading, coding and testing to really get to grips with things - so any advice that may shortcut things a little would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year to all - and thanks in advance for any help.

Phil

PhilMonfie

Re: Newbie - just looking for some pointers

by franklin97355 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:20 pm

This might give you some ideas of communicating to the Arduino.

franklin97355

by PhilMonfie on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for that - but as I don't have the components it's difficult to try this.

Has anyone got a SIMPLE Example and some .ino code to download to the Uno with BLE Shield - that will maybe just echo what is sent from the Bluefruit APP UART screen ....I saw an example somewhere that did a 'knock knock' dialogue - but think that was for different components.

PhilMonfie

by PhilMonfie on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:15 am

Just wanted to close off this query by saying I managed to sort this out by combining a couple of the examples available.

PhilMonfie

by franklin97355 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Thanks for posting back. Yes, that is the normal learning curve with hobby circuits. First get the demo code working for the devices alone then combine and troubleshoot code as you add complexity.

franklin97355

by PhilMonfie on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks for the comment Franklin. I have posted another query today because the next step of what I'm trying to do is now to incorporate reading .bmps from the SD card of the TFT unit and displaying. The BLE and TF are working fine but when I try the Read SD samples they don't. Not sure if the same wiring should be able to do it or do I need to make changes which could stop the other components working.
Phil

PhilMonfie

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.