Pro Trinket Reboots
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pro Trinket Reboots

by Ellebee13 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Hello all,

I am using an addicore 2.4Ghz transmitter with a Pro Trinket 5V 16 Mhz.

I have one set of the above that is a transmitter and the other that is a receiver. I am sending information from one pair to another, and when the other pair receives the information an alarm is sounded. The problem I am having is that when the receiving pair (Trinket and addicore) receives information from the sending pair, the information is received and the alarm triggered, but after completed the board just shuts off and reboots? I have no idea why it is doing this? Any thoughts on debugging this problem? I need the alarm to continue playing until the sending pair says not to.

Thanks.

EJ

Ellebee13

Re: Pro Trinket Reboots

by franklin97355 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:51 pm

You may be pulling too much power from the circuit or the alarm is causing electrical noise that is resetting the micro. Show us how you have things connected and powered and we may be able to help.

franklin97355

by Ellebee13 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:17 am

So I dont have a fritzing diagram, but a verbal desc. may do. What I have is a pro Trinket running of a standard 9V battery and the addicore being powered off the 5V supply in pro trinket.

Now originally I had the MAX98306 Amp board being powered from the pro trinket which of course powers a single speaker. I had the same thoughts about too much current being drawn, so instead of powering from the trinket I have connected the VCC into the battery directly to see if with more available current and voltage it would work better. To my surprise it did not. On the MAX98306, I have the VCC and ground connected off the battery, the L- on a ground, and the L+ on a output pin(6). That is pretty much it. The addicore uses a very low voltage requirement.

I had another set up to where I used an Arduino Micro to build a very similar set up without the radio and it worked fine.

If it is pulling too much current, what are the recommendations to solve this even if it so connected directly to the battery and not off the Pro Trinket? Also if it is causing electrical noise, what are the recommended steps to resolve? Now I will say that when in place I use an LED to indicate "alarm" rather than sound, I do not get this problem; a little lag but no reboot issue. However this is not a substitution; it needs to make a noise. I am using the .5W 8Ohm speaker sold on the website powered by the amp board listed above.

Thanks

EJ

Ellebee13

by franklin97355 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:26 am

If you have a 7.5 or 9 volt 1 amp wall power supply you could try that. A 9 volt battery is a poor choice for power as it has high internal resistance and low capacity. powering from a 5 volt supply is also possible by feeding the power into the 5 volt pin on the Pro Trinket.

franklin97355

by Ellebee13 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. So you are saying to power the amp board directly from the 5V pin on the trinket? I did try this originally but it did not change the issue of the reboot. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Also something else that is a little perplexing is the addicore board is hooked to the 5V, but when I also try and connect the amp board to the 5V, the board boots up, but after 3 successful blinks on the 13 LED, the board reboots again, and just continues to do this caught in a bad loop. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

EJ

Ellebee13

by franklin97355 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Something is drawing too much power. You may need to power from an external 5 volt power supply. Don't forget to tie the grounds together among the devices.

franklin97355

by Ellebee13 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks again.

QQ: When you say tie grounds together among devices, is it not sufficient to ground all components through a ground on the Trinket?

So right now the addicore RF board is powered and grounded from the Trinket same with the amp board. If the amp board is not powered and grounded from the Trinket, where then should I power and ground the amp board?

Also is there a debugging process to see where "too much" power is being drawn from?

Thanks

EJ

Ellebee13

by franklin97355 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Just make sure your grounds are commoned. It does not matter where you do this. If you are going to use a 5 volt power supply (recommended at least for testing) you would power all the devices from the power supply and not through another device. You could use the 5 volt pin on the Trinket as a tie point if you want. This is not a very good example (I'm not a good Fritzing user)
Attachments
Adafruitforum1_bb.jpg
Adafruitforum1_bb.jpg (601.29 KiB) Viewed 262 times

franklin97355

by Ellebee13 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:19 pm

One limitation of this is I need to use a battery. Do you have a recommended battery system for everything here? One thing I noticed a while back was the Amp board needs quite a bit of amps when discharging and it was challenging finding a battery that worked well.

Thanks.

EJ

Ellebee13

by franklin97355 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Get everything working stable before worrying about the battery.

franklin97355

by Ellebee13 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Ok. So something I did was also add a small resistor leaving the L- back into ground from the amp board. When powered through a USB cable, I trip the alarm and all works well.

Now I need to power it from a battery. As mentioned I was using a 9V battery but you said that is a poor choice. It feeds directly into the Bat pin. When the battery is the primary power source, the board beeps inly once, shuts off, and then reboots. Maybe this is as mentioned indicative of lack of amperage to discharge the battery.

What would you're recommendation be for a battery choice. Large size is an issue. Also could using a medical grade 9V which is capable of more amps be a better choice?

Thanks.

EJ

Ellebee13

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.