Time needed to compile Blink_Test in Arduino IDE
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Time needed to compile Blink_Test in Arduino IDE

by seanspotatobusiness on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:49 pm

I followed a tutorial for the HUZZAH ESP2866 and it went okay except I was surprised by how long it took to compile before the upload started (~3.5 min).

The code was

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
void setup() {
  pinMode(0, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(0, HIGH);
  delay(500);
  digitalWrite(0, LOW);
  delay(500);
}

This is the second time I've used Arduino IDE and I don't know what I'm doing but my assumption is that the Arduino IDE must also compile other code as well as my sketch before it uploads; is that correct? How long do you have to wait usually? My laptop is exceptionally weak at nearly eight years old (Acer Aspire 5738Z using a T4200 processor) but I was still surprised and thought the IDE had crashed. My CPU never approaches full usage during compiling.

seanspotatobusiness

Re: Time needed to compile Blink_Test in Arduino IDE

by franklin97355 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:24 am

If you would like to see what the compiler is doing go into file > preferences and turn on the verbose option for compile and upload. There will be large amounts of info spewed out on the progress.

franklin97355

Re: Time needed to compile Blink_Test in Arduino IDE

by seanspotatobusiness on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:16 am

franklin97355 wrote:If you would like to see what the compiler is doing go into file > preferences and turn on the verbose option for compile and upload. There will be large amounts of info spewed out on the progress.

Perfect! Thanks!

seanspotatobusiness

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.