Time needed to compile Blink_Test in Arduino IDE

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
seanspotatobusiness

Time needed to compile Blink_Test in Arduino IDE

Post by seanspotatobusiness »

I followed a tutorial for the HUZZAH ESP2866 and it went okay except I was surprised by how long it took to compile before the upload started (~3.5 min).

The code was

Code: Select all

void setup() {
  pinMode(0, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(0, HIGH);
  delay(500);
  digitalWrite(0, LOW);
  delay(500);
}
This is the second time I've used Arduino IDE and I don't know what I'm doing but my assumption is that the Arduino IDE must also compile other code as well as my sketch before it uploads; is that correct? How long do you have to wait usually? My laptop is exceptionally weak at nearly eight years old (Acer Aspire 5738Z using a T4200 processor) but I was still surprised and thought the IDE had crashed. My CPU never approaches full usage during compiling.

Franklin97355

Re: Time needed to compile Blink_Test in Arduino IDE

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you would like to see what the compiler is doing go into file > preferences and turn on the verbose option for compile and upload. There will be large amounts of info spewed out on the progress.

seanspotatobusiness

Re: Time needed to compile Blink_Test in Arduino IDE

Post by seanspotatobusiness »

franklin97355 wrote:If you would like to see what the compiler is doing go into file > preferences and turn on the verbose option for compile and upload. There will be large amounts of info spewed out on the progress.
Perfect! Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”