how to mount an arduino in a mr. potato head?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

how to mount an arduino in a mr. potato head?

by bearsinthesea on Mon May 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Can you give me any advice for mounting the arduino in an irregular case (mr. potato head)? Any general tips on mounting into cases?

I have an arduino, the wave shield, a speaker, 9v battery, and an accelerometer i need to get into a mr. potato head. I need to be able to access the sd card, usb port, and power ports from the outside.

Because it is rounded, using the standoffs seems like it won't work. Maybe it will, if the stand offs were adjustable, maybe with two nuts on the end of bolts? Does anyone know offhand what size bolts those are?

What are some other ways to do this? I was thinking of carving out some styrofoam so the arduino would slide inside of it. But styrofoam has a lot of stric electricity, so that is prolly bad. What if i mounted the speaker, but just wrapped the arduino in a fluffy cloth and stuffed it inside? A fire hazard to have cloth around electronics? How about a huge blob of epoxy, and i stick one end (opposite from the end w/ power + usb) into it. Not removable, but would it hurt the electronics (short circuits, overheat covered components)? Would it be sturdy?

To mount the accelerometer inside, could i just use some regular epoxy or hot glue to stick it on the inside? Would that hurt the electronics?

Do you think using velcro on the 9v battery will keep it in place so it doesnt fall onto the board?

I'm thinking of doing this through the access hatch in his butt, so I don't think i'll have to cut the potato in half. The 1.5w speaker is the biggest, most awkward part. The more I look at it, the better having the arduino attached via bots through the bottom looks good, except i dont know how i'd acuractely drill holes so teh y match up with the board on such a rounded surface.

Thanks! I'll post pix of the results.

oh, i am already gluing the body pieces (nose, eyes) into place and cutting off their sticks to give more room on the inside.

marc
bearsinthesea

Re: how to mount an arduino in a mr. potato head?

by bearsinthesea on Tue May 12, 2009 1:35 am

FYI,

The mounting screw holes are two sizes. But there are two holes that are 3mm, just right for M3 nylon bolts or 1/8th inch (4-40) will work.
bearsinthesea

by bearsinthesea on Thu May 14, 2009 12:33 pm

bearsinthesea wrote:Can you give me any advice for mounting the arduino in an irregular case (mr. potato head)? Any general tips on mounting into cases?

Thanks! I'll post pix of the results.

marc

So this worked well so far. The speaker (right) is attached using metal bolts and lock washers. The arduino is attached using nylon bolts with locking nuts. The accelerometer (left) is installed with a hot glue gun. Holes were drilled in the side to let the audio out. The 9v battery (top) is attached with velcro.
Attachments
IMG_5365.jpg
IMG_5365.jpg (76.41 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
bearsinthesea

by adafruit on Thu May 14, 2009 4:56 pm

lookin good :)

adafruit

by macegr on Thu May 14, 2009 5:23 pm

If you do this again, consider Shapelock. It's plastic that becomes moldable around 150 F. Once it cools it's very tough.
macetech LLC - http://www.macetech.com
macegr

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.