rev B Datalogger Shield Not Initializing SD Card

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SleepyEngineer

rev B Datalogger Shield Not Initializing SD Card

Post by SleepyEngineer »

Hey all. I've been working on a project for some time now and decided to make a duplicate device so that I could have two of them. Both systems consist of an Arduino Uno, Datalogger Shield, Proto Shield and BNO055 IMU. My first assembly uses the old Datalogger shield. For the new device I ordered all new parts and noticed that the rev B logger replaced the original.

I created a sketch for my original system which recorded IMU data and saved it to the Datalogger shield. After assembling and testing my new rev B Datalogger, it quickly became apparent that the SD card no longer initializes properly. I tested the rev B Shield using my original Uno, Proto Shield, and sketch, but the card does not initialize.

I've also tried using the code included on the Adafruit Code Walkthrough page for the rev B, but the SD card is still not being initialized.

Additionally, I've tried formatting the SD card using SDFormatter with no luck. Plus, it works with my original system.

With the revised Datalogger, what do I need to change in my sketch to make it initialize the SD card again? I've tried making a new sketch for the new system as well, but have not had luck with that either. Note that my original system using the Uno, og Datalogger, Proto Shield, and sketch works fine.

I've included some pictures of my system (descriptions of ea. in file name) and both my sketch (filename: mySketch) as well as some of the Code Walkthrough (enough to verify if the card initializes). The pics and sketches can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hveuhe2kjjuy ... EN_2a?dl=0

Thank you for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: rev B Datalogger Shield Not Initializing SD Card

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

No code changes should be required. The board circuits are the same, just using SMT parts.

One thing I notice is that the solder joints on the two ground pins on your stacking headers have not flowed well onto the pad. I'd touch those up first and see if that helps at all.

SleepyEngineer

Post by SleepyEngineer »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:No code changes should be required. The board circuits are the same, just using SMT parts.

One thing I notice is that the solder joints on the two ground pins on your stacking headers have not flowed well onto the pad. I'd touch those up first and see if that helps at all.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have since touched up the solder joints and uploaded two new pictures to the Dropbox named solder joints - 1 and -2 so that you can have a look. Excuse my novice-level soldering skills ;).

Unfortunately, even after touching up the joints, the SD card is still not initializing. What should my next steps be?

Edit: I just verified continuity for each pin on the stackable headers for the rev B logger. Each pin worked fine and no pin was interfering with the other. I did notice that on the Analog In side of the shield, the two GND pins are connected. I.e. plugging a wire into either pin hole and testing for continuity on either pin results in a signal. Is this normal? I've uploaded a picture showing this (filename: continuity).

adafruit_support_bill

The soldering looks very good now. But I see you haven't installed the 2x3 pin ICSP header. You need either the ICSP header or solder the MOSI, MISO & SCK jumpers as indicated on the back of the board.

SleepyEngineer

Post by SleepyEngineer »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The soldering looks very good now. But I see you haven't installed the 2x3 pin ICSP header. You need either the ICSP header or solder the MOSI, MISO & SCK jumpers as indicated on the back of the board.
Thank you. I believe I have now soldered the MOSI, MISO, and SCK jumpers as you instructed. I've included a picture here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyr4o4yxhyfxe ... .jpeg?dl=0

Is this what you meant? If not, could you please elaborate? I tested the shield after doing this and it is still not initializing.

adafruit_support_bill

You need to bridge the gap with the solder as in the photo below (different shield, but same idea)

SleepyEngineer

Post by SleepyEngineer »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:You need to bridge the gap with the solder as in the photo below (different shield, but same idea)

Ah, that did it. SD card is initializing as it should and everything is running again. Thank you so much for the amazing support! I really appreciate it.

adafruit_support_bill

Good to hear. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

squirk

Post by squirk »

Were you able to ultimately solve this? I am running into some of the same issues while trying to build the same kind of set-up. Can you possibly re-post your final working sketch?? Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Were you able to ultimately solve this?
If you read through the thread, you will see that no code changes were required. The solution was to solder the jumpers as described in the guide.

squirk

Post by squirk »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:
Were you able to ultimately solve this?
If you read through the thread, you will see that no code changes were required. The solution was to solder the jumpers as described in the guide.

Yes, but the link to the code and photos no longer works.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”