Unable to set time on Adafruit Data Logger shield
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Unable to set time on Adafruit Data Logger shield

by Govner on Fri May 03, 2019 1:36 pm

rstolfa wrote: .... some Unos don't support the SDA/SCL quite correctly. So, I soldered the pads together under the board, and viola! It works.

Hi rstolfa,

NOTE: I edited my earlier response regarding your experience with the solder pads for SDA/SCL. I copied and pasted the clarification here so as to keep the information flow in sequence. I hope this helps :

======================================================================================
"Interesting exception. I hope you find that this is a helpful & full explanation of your VOILA moment.

To explain, older UNOs use only 1 set of pins A4/A5 (for SDA/SCL, resp) on one side of the board. On the other side, these older versions do not have "SDA" & "SCL" pins installed adjacent to the ARef pin. They are, in fact, simply missing - not there. Because TheDataLogger Shield header intends by designed to plug into (and connect) to these missing pins, the shield ends up with no connection to the I2C bus (SDA/SCL). However, since ALL Uno designs have A4 & A5, the solution to missing SDA/SCL pins is to "jumper" A4 and A5, as you wisely did so. The jumpers, in effect, simply route the SDA/SCL signals over to the other side of the shield and directly to the shield's respective header pins intended to plug into the missing SDA/SCL UNO pins. So, even though the shield's header pins appear to be floating (not-connected) to the UNO, they are now getting their signals from your jumpered A4/A5 pins across the way. That's why you got a nice "voila"! Good for you. If you re-read the silk screen on the shield near the jumpers that says: "Short on '328s without SDA/SCL pins", it should make perfect sense. I must say that I have not seen any quote "Original Arduino UNOs" without the said SDA/SCL pins, it doesn't mean that there are not plenty of "knock-offs" out there without these two duplicate pin sets. I suspect that Adafruit was wisely anticipating this exception.

Good luck,

GOV

Govner

by adafruit2 on Fri May 03, 2019 3:29 pm

sorry yes that was a typo - will adjust!

adafruit2
Site Admin

by Govner on Wed May 08, 2019 5:07 am

No complaints here. All issues solved thanks to you all. I have implemented the Adafruit SD DataLoggers, Adafruit RGB LCD display, the Adafruit BME680, and a MEGA and they are all working PERFECTLY !

Bravo Adafruit.

GOV

Govner

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.