USB port that Flora was attached to has disappeared

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gerry81611

Re: USB port that Flora was attached to has disappeared

Post by gerry81611 »

Any ideas on why my original flora stopped showing up in the port menu and the replacement did as well once I loaded the code on it? I have one more flora left that I can swap in but I'm worried that as soon was I load the code on it it will disappear from the port menu too!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

are you sure you're selecting Flora in the dropdown Boards? you havent broken your flora, if you can get into the bootloader you can always load new code

gerry81611

Post by gerry81611 »

yes, the flora is selected as shown in the screenshot. and I was happily loading code onto it for a couple of days. occasionally I got loading errors until one day it was not visible anymore. then I soldered in a spare flora which showed up but disappeared as soon as I put the code on it.

so it sounds like the flora hardware is fine and the boot loader can't be corrupted by me, so that leaves the code I've written as the culprit. what is the simplest kind of hello world that I can put on there? a loop function with a serial.print in it? If I am understanding you right, I should be able to get the flora to show up in the port menu on its own again by putting code on it that doesn't contain whatever is causing all of this.

thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 11.42.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 11.42.59 AM.png (955.42 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 11.42.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 11.42.44 AM.png (776.5 KiB) Viewed 170 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

why not try the default File->Examples->01Basics->blink :)

gerry81611

Post by gerry81611 »

thank you! thats a great idea :) let the troubleshooting begin! when I find out what is bombing the usb I'll post back here for the benefit of future debuggers.

gerry81611

Post by gerry81611 »

I found the offending line. I was calling strip.show() from the constructor of the TwoColorFade class. I created a separate unitiltalized default state for the class and check for it in Update() instead and do the pixel init there instead and all is well. Its unfortunate that my learning involved rebuilding the hardware but yay learning :)

thanks for all your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”