Problem in getting Weather Station to work

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_carter

Re: Problem in getting Weather Station to work

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

1. If you look at the movie, yu can see the "hour" flashing between 12/24 HR all the time, together with (in this case) the "PM" signing going on/off together with the hour.
Not sure why, but it's acting like you're touching the screen to change the mode:
https://github.com/adafruit/esp8266-wea ... r.ino#L231
2. The battery status is not stable. It keeps on flashing between 100% and 70%. Only when you put the little box very stable, it seems to stay at 100%. Can this have to do with a gyro on-board (no idea if this is in the device?) ?
In the upper right? I think that's wifi quality:
https://github.com/adafruit/esp8266-wea ... r.ino#L531
3. I can not get the switch installed and then install the screen in the box. I suppose this can be solved by shortening the switch pins and soldering so it is not this high.
Is this an interference issue at this step?
https://learn.adafruit.com/wifi-weather ... bly#step-7
4. Very strange, but if I switch the device off and enable it again, the screen stays grey and I need to click the "reset" button on the bottom of the screen.
Add a small delay as described here:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=134255#p696260

oesterle

Post by oesterle »

Hi, Davy.

You wrote:
1. If you look at the movie, yu can see the "hour" flashing between 12/24 HR all the time, together with (in this case) the "PM" signing going on/off together with the hour.
adafruit_support_carter said:
Not sure why, but it's acting like you're touching the screen to change the mode:
https://github.com/adafruit/esp8266-wea ... r.ino#L231
I wonder if that's due to some pressure from the case on the face (near the edge) of the resistive touch screen (TFT FeatherWing - 2.4" 320x240 Touchscreen For All Feathers).

Thanks for hangin' in there!

Cheers,

Eric

MrBean14

Post by MrBean14 »

Carter, Eric,

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right directions.
I tried it again without the case but it is the same behavior. When using the example with the touchscreen this is not happening. There the touch is working fine.

Anyway, I have removed the code for checking the "if (IS_STYLE_12HR) {" in the function "drawTime()" as I don't need the 12 Hour version.
The text is now stable.
In the upper right? I think that's wifi quality:
I think you're completely right.
That means nothing is showing the level of the lipo battery?
Quick question : can you charge it when on by putting in the USB cable? How to know the lipo is full?
Is this an interference issue at this step?
No not really, except I now need to open the box to put the screen off and on... But this I will change when some more time.
Add a small delay as described here:
SOLVED ! Many thanks...

Thanks for helping me out as otherwise it would have been in the bin already ! :-)

Best regards,

Davy

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok! i added screenshots of the library manager for all of them. there's only one that needs manual installing take a look?

https://learn.adafruit.com/wifi-weather ... y/software

MrBean14

Post by MrBean14 »

Team,

just to let you know that I soldered the switch yesterday and now my weather station is finally fully ready.
One thing I need to check is how long it can be on based on the lipo charge. I had it on for 2 hours and then it went flat...

One flaw I would like to look after is the problem with the wifi network if you take the station with you.
Although I installed it at home with my wifi network, taking the box to my work will NOT connect the wifi and will therefore even not continue to the information screen.
Might be an idea to have an inbetween step where you can click on predefined networks. That'll be for a moment where I have some spare time ... :-)

Best regards,

Davy

drdavel

Post by drdavel »

Around line 230 of the esp8266-weather-station-color the code checks for a press ( which apparently is happening to me even when the case is off) and flips the logic of IS_STYLE_12HR false<->true. Commenting out that line make the time stable. Crude until I figure out why that fires.

Code: Select all

#ifdef HAVE_TOUCHPAD
  if (touchController.isTouched(0)) { 
     TS_Point p = touchController.getPoint();
     if (p.y < 80) {
//        IS_STYLE_12HR = !IS_STYLE_12HR;  <<<<<<<<<<<<
     } else {
       screen = (screen + 1) % screenCount;
     }
  }
#endif

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”