Problem trying to connect LED matrix + sensors to Arduino Un
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Problem trying to connect LED matrix + sensors to Arduino Un

by Pamyu on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've been doing a project for my Physical computer class in college where I wanted to visualize sensor readings in a 32x32 LED Matrix.

The components I've been using are:
Arduino Uno
Adafruit DS1307 Real Time Clock Assembled Breakout Board
Adafruit BME680 - Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Gas Sensor
32x32 RGB LED Matrix Panel - 4mm Pitch
RGB LED Matrix shield for Arduino
all from Adafruit.

After much experimentation with code and wiring. I have gotten every component to work, just by themselves. When I try to utilize both the LED matrix and the BME680 for example, none of them seem to work alongside each other. The most I've gotten to work together is the DS1307 and BME680 while using the Matrix shield.

Since I am fairly new to coding and the like, I am unable to go into the RGB matrix library to see what is actually going on. My guess is that the matrix utilizes more digital inputs than shown and some inputs are conflicting. In such a case, it seems that I may sadly need a bigger Arduino, say a Mega.

So my question is if I'm able to connect all three of the components into an Arduino Uno board and utilize them successfully, or should I just bite the bullet and get a Mega so that I can finish my project on time?

Thank you all.

Pamyu

Re: Problem trying to connect LED matrix + sensors to Arduin

by oesterle on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:06 am

Hi, Pamyu!

I'm glad you got each component running independently. That's a great practice.

Assuming you're using I2C for both, I don't see a conflict between the Adafruit DS1307 Real Time Clock Assembled Breakout Board and the Adafruit BME680.

Can you show us your wiring? (Use the image button in the editor. 800x600 works best)

Can you also share your code? (Use the code button in the editor.)

In such a case, it seems that I may sadly need a bigger Arduino, say a Mega.

Alas, the Adafruit RGB Matrix Shield for Arduino doesn't work with the Arduino Mega, according to the Product Tutorial: 32x16 and 32x32 RGB LED Matrix. You can still use a Mega; you'd just need to use a bunch of wire jumpers instead of the shield.

A convenient possible alternative to the Mega would be the Adafruit METRO M0 Express. Your RGB Matrix Shield is compatible. The Metro M0 works with Arduino, and, when you're ready to try it, CircuitPython. It also has 4x the RAM of the Mega. I believe you'd need a 4-channel I2C-safe Bi-directional Logic Level Converter - BSS138 to convert the logic levels from the M0 to the RTC, since the RTC is 5V. The BME680 though is happy to be powered by 3.3V and use 3.3V logic.

Cheers,

Eric

oesterle

Re: Problem trying to connect LED matrix + sensors to Arduin

by wadelamble on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:16 am

I had the same problem. Specifically, the matrix failed to illuminate (not sure where in the code) when I included any sensor library. I bought the Adafruit Metro M0, and it worked.

wadelamble

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.