Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

Pet water bowl refiller..
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pet water bowl refiller..

by jdredd on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:55 pm

I didn't like what was on Amazon for a pet water bowl refiller. I wanted one that constantly added fresh water as needed, vs having old stale water
sitting or being recirculated until it was all gone. Requiring me to fill it back up again.

Now Billy cat, always has fresh water added when needed with my simple Arduino project.

Started the build over the weekend and it turned out pretty well.

Uses a Nano, relay, Optomax Digital Liquid Level Sensor - LLC200D3SH-LLPK1 ( sold here on Adafruit ) and a 1/4" quick fit 12v normally closed water valve. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0743 ... UTF8&psc=1

Good part is, doesn't scare the cat when it refills.

Video @ https://youtu.be/zO9HbENp8bs

jdredd

Re: Pet water bowl refiller..

by franklin97355 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:56 am

Nice project. If you write it up somewhere let us know.

franklin97355

by kcl1s on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:40 am

Good job! I hope you have your sensor/water hose attached to the bowl well. Our cats tend to slide their bowl around over time. If your cat pushes it out from under the sensor/hose you may get a wet floor. Maybe use a timeout clock loop in your code so if the water runs too long the Arduino could shut it off and sound a buzzer.

Fellow Hobbyist
Keith

kcl1s

by jdredd on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:26 am

kcl1s wrote:Good job! I hope you have your sensor/water hose attached to the bowl well. Our cats tend to slide their bowl around over time. If your cat pushes it out from under the sensor/hose you may get a wet floor. Maybe use a timeout clock loop in your code so if the water runs too long the Arduino could shut it off and sound a buzzer.

Fellow Hobbyist
Keith

Right now, it uses a heavy ceramic bowl.. then the 3/4" wooden dowel rod adhered to that. The cat doesn't seem to move the bowl around very much. But it wouldn't hurt maybe to secure the whole assembly to floor or wall some how.... just to make sure it just doesn't get knocked over totally some how.

Then lines/wiring/ect are all nicely zip tied to it so those are not going any where.

I did blob some hot glue on the sensor top itself to the clear hose I used to run the wiring down ( couldn't find wire loom i have stashed somewhere ) , so it would stay in place
as it did have a little wiggle up and down at first. But that was by design for me to figure where I exactly wanted the water level.

Currently, it only allows the water to run 5 seconds at a time.

I eventually may invest in a good RTC module and make it so it only checks on the hour or once or twice a day type deal.

I did check on it this morning and all was good, so it made it past the over night test :)

jdredd

by jdredd on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Put up code / parts / crude diagram @

https://github.com/jdredd87/ArduinoWaterBowl

jdredd

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.