How do I reset an Adafruit sound board?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
offroadace

How do I reset an Adafruit sound board?

Post by offroadace »

Posting here due to lack of response on Adafruit.io.
=============================================

I have connected and posted sounds to my adafruit sound board, but now it does not register as a drive.

How do I reset my board?

I have another board and it registers as a drive as expected.

Is there a way to reset/clear an adafruit board to default?

1) Tell us what product you are asking about, your Adafruit order number, and when you purchased the item.
Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board - WAV/OGG Trigger with 16MB Flash
ORDER #1806775-3409495359
July 9, 2018 @ 10:09 PM

2) Post clear photos, focused, and detailed pictures of the front and back of the boards, as well as any connections to the board.
(attached)

No longer connects to computer as a drive.
The card still powers on as indicated by the green LED.
Computer management does not refresh to show the drive.
This worked for several iterations of file transfer and testing.
Another card has no issue and registers as a drive.
20181020_141339-1.jpg
20181020_141411-1.jpg

UPDATE::::
I now have [2] boards that do not register as drives.

I can't keep spending money on drives that constantly fail.

Board #2
20181022_175140-1.jpg
I would add a 4th image of the other side of this board, but the site does not allow more than 3 images.
Both boards power on as expected from the computer as well as from a bread board with 5v attached.
Multiple cables tested.
Multiple USB ports tested.
Multiple computers tested.

!!!!!!On an additional note: WAV files do not work. When these were working the WAV files sounded like they were in slow motion and 1/4 speed.
Only OGG files worked.

NOTE::
Have confirmed it is not a computer connection issue. My laptop also does not register these boards as drives.
Board #1 - E487316 - 1737
Board #2 - E487316 - 1751

I've heard similar issues that possibly this is a bad batch issue.

offroadace

Re: How do I reset an Adafruit sound board?

Post by offroadace »

Hello??

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Can you post a photo of both boards so we can see if there's anything obvious with the hardware. It sounds like it was working and then not working. Can you correlate that to anything?

There is a file system restore you can try:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... /downloads
but it does require that the board is at least seen by your computer.

offroadace

Post by offroadace »

Interesting. The images were stripped, but the tag remained.
The boards are not identified by any computers tested. Running Windows 10 (don't know the current patch version at the moment) and I have already seen that article, but it obviously did not work.

Board #1;
20181020_141339-1.jpg
20181020_141339-1.jpg (87.17 KiB) Viewed 944 times
20181020_141411-1.jpg
20181020_141411-1.jpg (96.54 KiB) Viewed 944 times

Board #2;
20181022_175140-1.jpg
20181022_175140-1.jpg (92.36 KiB) Viewed 944 times

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The soldering on a few of the pins looks a little under soldered. But that should only be an issue for triggering and playback. Shouldn't affect your computers ability to just see the device.

I missed the update in your first post where you say both are now acting up. But they both worked at one point. What was happening when they went from working to not working.

offroadace

Post by offroadace »

I added/removed audio files and tested with an external speaker configuration. Everything worked great through several iterations of testing. I started with pin 0 and then eventually added pins 1-4. All audio was working as expected for each pin and button configuration.
I actually did this several times and was testing the audio files and they would transfer as expected since it was identified by the computer as expected.
Then it failed on the first board so I went through the same testing on the second board. It worked a couple of times, then it stopped and and was no longer recognized by the system.
To validate I also tested connecting to another system and it did not register as a drive there either.
To further validate I tested multiple USB cords through multiple USB ports on both systems and nothing registered. Direct USB ports, not hubs.

Then I searched and found the article you posted, but since it does not connect I could not test that.

When connected to either the computer(s) or 5V power, the GREEN LED is active.
But when connected to button/speaker nothing is generated and the RED LED is not activated when button is pushed.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yeah something you did borked the firmware. if you keep redoing the same setup it'll keep breaking. we dont have much control over the filesystem firmware part. can you use another board?

offroadace

Post by offroadace »

Yeah, unfortunately all I did was transfer data from my computer to the board. If that were true, it would have failed initially and not allow multiple operations on both boards over several days with confirmed testing.
Please explain further in more detail how copying/pasting/deleting audio files to/from the board(s) would "bork" the board.
And no, I had 2 boards, appearing to be in the same series, that failed, similarly to several other reported issues of failed boards. I wonder if they were also from the same series?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

they're all the same chip and same firmware - replacing these will probably just end in the same place because of something you did, even if its not an expected failure. so replacing them will not solve your problem. email support@adafruit for a refund, and try some other non-sound-board device for your project!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”