Getting an error, can't figure out how to fix... Help! I CAN

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rsalamun6147

Getting an error, can't figure out how to fix... Help! I CAN

Post by rsalamun6147 »

Arduino IDE Errors on 1.8.7 2009 and 2017 imac running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1 (2) usb cables Adafruit bought (tried and several other adafruit boards.) and Many more error/issues but upload limit is 3. these errors are consistant over the last 3 yrs. and still continue Im done with it all Ive waisted $846 on adafruit products that are just collecting dust in in a usps box unused as ide is BROKEN! just this (past week) I waisted $164+ on Adafruit products.now sit idle and useless. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND ADAFRUIT PRODUCTS TO ANYONE!

adafruit led strip 60 led per Meter: popping led's burn outs. same day its received in the mail and used. presoldered wired incorrectly from adafruit! Onboard led on boards burning out instantly so you cant identify if code has been loaded to the board as status leds are burning out! Consistant Upload Errors trying to get code onto the boards. (FAILED) All products used just once and DEAD soon after!
Attachments
Arduino ide 1.8.7 error of many
Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 5.34.19 PM.png (23.36 KiB) Viewed 306 times
Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 2.47.07 PM.png (754.51 KiB) Viewed 306 times
Arduino ide 1.8.7 error of Many
Arduino ide 1.8.7 error of Many
Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 2.45.04 PM.png (861.07 KiB) Viewed 306 times

kcl1s

Re: Getting an error, can't figure out how to fix... Help! I

Post by kcl1s »

Hi,
I know it can get frustrating when things don't work out. Have you tried to find a library or maker space in your area? Another set of eyes from someone that is experienced can be a great help. I am the volunteer tech person for our local public library and have helped a few people that have trouble with their projects.

While these forums are good for answering specific questions you seem to have a lot of different problems going on and have invested in a lot of hardware. My suggestion is to get back to the basics and see if you can get the IDE to upload the blink program to an Arduino based board. If you start there with just the USB plugged in you should not have any power problems. If you run into problems with loading the blink example state the board you are using and paste the error codes you are getting.

Good luck...You can do this!

Fellow hobbyist
Keith

oesterle

Post by oesterle »

Hi, rsalamun6147.

Sorry about your frustrations, and hope this helps.

I'm going to focus on your Flora and Gemma issues in this reply. I'd suggest you make separate posts for your other Adafruit products, like the NeoPixel strips. I don't work for Adafruit, but I can tell you that they have a 30 day return policy (details), and monitor these forums to help solve problems with purchases.

The first error,

Code: Select all

avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp'
…suggests that the Arduino IDE is trying to connect to a USBasp device made by Thomas Fischl, instead of your Flora or Gemma.

In the IDE, I sometimes forget to choose the right board and port, and end up with avrdude complaining that it can't find my device, or weirder, I find it trying to connect with some other USB device on some random port.

When you post errors, can you copy the entire error stream as text, and paste it here, between code tags, as I did above? (You can use the code button in above the forum message editor.) It may end up a couple of pages long, but on the forums, we're all used to seeing big chunks of code and errors, and they're super helpful to diagnosing issues. The reason I ask, is that I see three library folders that are unfamiliar in the errors. I'm guessing there may be more. Where did you get "neopixel2"?

I also see that in these libraries, the IDE can't find header files. This might call for cleaning out the Arduino libraries folder, and possibly reinstalling the Arduino IDE, which everyone ends up doing occasionally.

Have you gone step by step through the Getting Started with FLORA guide? I'd go through that again, especially the part about installing board support, and verifying that the IDE can connect to your FLORA and load a simple blink sketch.

Cheers,

Eric

rsalamun6147

Post by rsalamun6147 »

Gemma v2 purchased nov. 18 2015 dead red upload status led faint red status.
Flora v2 Dec. 6 2015 now dead onboard neopixel.
Adafruit NeoPixel LED Strip with 3-pin JST Connector 60 led 0.5 meter strip purchased on September 26th 2018. was presolderd from adafruit, data out connection not data in, Took a week to notice that it was presoldered wrong by Adafruit. have since cut strip in two peace’s as of last week, CANT RETURN/REFUND AS IVE ALTERED STRIP! kept popping individual leds on strip so had to cut out bad burned single leds pixels, from strip to get good undead leds stricto light up again on the strip. Also now not lighting up as well via alligator clips to a adafruit board. Worked 1 day connected to Gemma above powered by iMac connected usb power. Now nothing both Gemma and flora have green pwr leds lit while connected via usb so it is getting power via USB port of 2017 iMac. Just two months old and FRESH Arduino I’d install nothing’s saved from old 2009 iMac since retired.
Tried uploading a sketch to each of the two boards but the errors that stop me from going any further with a working sketch upload.IM LOST on How to PROCEDE and FIX THESE 3yrs of IDE ISSUES!that continue to plague me.
As you can see by attached orders history I’m a valued customer to Adafruot and have tried for a while to make my purchases WORK! But have and continue to hit Roadblocks along the way. I’ve asked adafruit employee via Instagram and get no guidance or assistance just silence. I do get it though, they can’t help everyone, but the no reply’s irks me. And posting in the forums gets me nowhere, which I’d hoped would give me guidance from someone with the knowledge on how to resolve my issues with products if I wasn’t able to find a resolution from a post of another with same or similar issue.
Attachments
63E495CA-7997-41BD-942D-20A5E6437E3E.jpeg
63E495CA-7997-41BD-942D-20A5E6437E3E.jpeg (334.16 KiB) Viewed 291 times

oesterle

Post by oesterle »

If the strip was soldered wrong, please make a new thread, and post clear product images. (800x600 works best). Adafruit may be able to help you with that.

What is it that you'd like to build?

It's easy for me to feel like nothing's working, then an hour later, suddenly it all works, and the problem was a missing semicolon. That's been my repeated experience over 30 years of coding, and it's taken time to learn the tricks to keep it from stopping my progress. One key thing I do for complex projects is to reduce them to small, achievable steps. I get each component working separately, and begin with simple pieces of working code, usually written by others. Often, even now, getting the blink sketch to work on a new board is step one.

So, can you go through my suggestions above for addressing the FLORA issues? Looking at your error screenshots helps. From what I see, your Arduino libraries folder contains some code that Arduino doesn't recognize as a library. Where did you get "LED_Bracelet", "adafruit_waveform", and "neopixel2"? Is it possible that these are not libraries, but instead, Arduino projects that have been copied into the libraries folder?

The other potential issues I would look at one by one are your board support package setup, whether the correct board and port is selected in the IDE, and checking to see if another USB cable works. There has been a rash of charge-only USB cables (no data!) causing issues recently. Some on the forums have literally tried 5 cables they had lying around, before they found one that works. Adafruit clearly indicates which of their cables support data, such as the USB cable - USB A to Micro-B - 3 foot long.

Cheers,

Eric

rsalamun6147

Post by rsalamun6147 »

Rather than agrivate myself further with this stuff, I’d just like to ship my parts to someone, get my idea going with either existing adafruit projects code that’s been done already. Or someone with the coding knowledge to create the code for the parts I ship to them. And cover the costs of what that person would charge to create my idea, and any and all shipping costs back to me as the complete working project I had seen in either adafruits projects guides related to my parts i purchases threw adafruit or had in my head that sameone could possibly create my idea if at all. At this point I’ll pay what the person ask to charge me to build my project. I can send a PayPal payment threw PayPal if that person has PayPal for payment for project being created. I have no problem playing someone when I don’t have the skills to do it myself as I now see three yrs later messing with this adafruit hardware. Due to a injury I sustained, Parkinson like simptoms making soldering tasks useless with inability to have a steady hand. And some issues with comprehension of what I’m reading of the texts in the adafruit project guides is confusing, another stumbling block for me in getting things to work.
But give me a wrench and a old muscle car and I’m good to go without issues in solving the cars problems in front of me. My comprehension in the case of fixing a classic car I can do without any issue. I’m just a visual learner always have been, show me once and I comprehend it and don’t forget after I’ve seen it the first time.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

We have a jobs board where you could post your project request or you could explain it in detail and perhaps someone could help.

rsalamun6147

Post by rsalamun6147 »

I tried the jobs board several days ago, November 1st. haven’t gotten a approval confirmation from adafruit, moderator and as of this afternoon still don’t see my post in jobs board and haven’t received a return approval from adafruit. Why would my request need approval by a moderator?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”