audio Fx sound board trigger pin failure

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Cibervirus

Re: audio Fx sound board trigger pin failure

Post by Cibervirus »

Yes, it was doing that with any .wav file. The intial 4 or 5 i loaded on 3 different pins were a mix of .wav and .ogg. they all responded the same way. I then tried renaming and moving pins. That's when i realized once i moved them from a pin, putting anything back on that pin resulted in no output at all from that pin. I then tried sample files from your library in an effort to find the issue and encountered the same issues. Changing the file name while on that pin seemed to make no change, but moving it off somehow rendered that pin useless if i tried to load a file to back to it (even the same file). I was down to only a few pins i hadn't utilized when i contacted you. Since reflashing the drive from our early posts, i have no output on any pin with any sound file i load.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Not sure I'm following all that. But this doesn't sound good:
Since reflashing the drive from our early posts, i have no output on any pin with any sound file i load.
It sounds like the reflashing went OK. But now if you load the example wav files from the guide and try to trigger them, you get nothing at all?

Cibervirus

Post by Cibervirus »

Correct. I had lost output on most pins because moving a file off a trigger pin number resulted in that pin never outputting again. I had maybe 2 or 3 trigger pins with sound files on (that were still playing sound but cutting out after 2 secs still) before i flashed. Once i flashed, Obviously the files were overwritten and removed, and now i have no trigger pin that will output. The only thing i think the flashing fixed was the laptop saying "errors found on drive" when plugged in usb. (A problem i had since day 1 but originally i didn't see as being an issue as it was still loading files ok and playing through windows explorer ok).

adafruit_support_carter

The flashing fixed the filesystem and erased anything on there. You need to copy the files back. Is it acting OK in terms of being able to write the files back? If you unplug it and plug it back in, are the files still showing up on the device?

Cibervirus

Post by Cibervirus »

Yes the file system will accept the files and they will show up as being in there ok. But no matter what type of trigger i name it (latching, hold, random,etc) once unpluggged from laptop and battery pack connected....the trigger pins when grounded will output nothing.

adafruit_support_carter

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the file system acting up again. It sounds like that part is working as expected.

What does the ACT LED do when you try to trigger a file? Does it come on at all?

Cibervirus

Post by Cibervirus »

No there us no activity from the ACT light. I do remember it used to go red for that 2 seconds it would play, but now there's no light or anything when attempting triggers.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, so it's acting like it's not even triggering for some reason. As opposed to triggering and decoding, but for some reason no audio coming out. It's just not even trying. But why?

I would hope that by running the file system clean up program and then re-using the example WAV files, you'd be back to pretty much the original state.

Do you have the ability to try serial control as maybe another way to try and trigger audio?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... io-control

Cibervirus

Post by Cibervirus »

I do not, unfortunately, have any setup currently to do a serial setup.

adafruit_support_carter

Cibervirus

Post by Cibervirus »

Yes, I've tried all those fixes and adjustments when I never could get it to work properly. It does everything it should when connected to laptop, but the pins will still not trigger on their own despite attempting everything on that help page.

adafruit_support_carter

Can you post a photo showing how you are actually shorting the trigger pins to ground. Since you're working in a preliminary state with unsoldered pins, let's make sure that's being done OK.

Cibervirus

Post by Cibervirus »

1542686962821.jpg
1542686962821.jpg (401.33 KiB) Viewed 176 times
1542686932792.jpg
1542686932792.jpg (436.09 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Cibervirus

Post by Cibervirus »

I have also tried another jumper with alligator ends and a paperclip. usually I'm laying those leads flat across the gold pads, but that was hard to hold and take the picture.

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks. I'd expected that to be OK. Guessing the power pins are still unsoldered, but you could probably get away with that on power. Maybe. I'd hope it would at least try and you'd see some indication on the ACT LED.

Let's try the erase thing again and see if the behavior continues. Redo the flash erase:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... /downloads
copy the examples:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... udio-files
and try again.

Also - which software are you using to actually burn the "disk image" during the flash erase? And you're using the correct one? (it comes in a 2MB an 16MB flavor)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”