Reading a linear encoder

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mrbuzz

Reading a linear encoder

Post by mrbuzz »

Hi there, have trawled through many a post but cannot find any help on reading a linear encoder that is used in conjunction with a stepper motor. Has anyone done this yet and if so please can you give me some advice? The encoder is mounted to move a platform which in turn is powered by a stepper motor. I can code the stepper motor to operate but there is no telling if the movement in the zaxis, created by the motor, is 100% correct, especially over time.
I have added an encoder and using Python currently control the motor to turn a set increment. I would like to check this movement, especially as the motor is a little old, by reading the encoder and if really lucky adding in some functionality to recitfy the code to fall in line it if it is out.
Really hope some keen expert will take pity on me as not finding alot out there on the Internet, apart from mutlithreading!
Many thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Reading a linear encoder

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are many kinds of linear encoders and they all have different interfaces. The manufacturer of your unit should have a spec-sheet and/or manual with details on the interface and how to read it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”