Random white noise with Adafruit Mp3 shield VS1053
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Random white noise with Adafruit Mp3 shield VS1053

by toni_tonio on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:59 pm

Hello

I build a project using MP3 Arduino Shield with vs1053. It works well except sometimes I have white noise in the speaker. I cannot control the amount of white noise. It is not linked to the volume control. I happen 3/10 times at the start for half a second or one second sometimes it never stops. Music can be played but white noise is too loud.

I thought it was linked to power. I use a LM2577 DC-DC VOLTAGE STEP-UP how is normally ok. If I use around 4.2v output I have fewer issues than 5v. But it is so random it is hard to estimate.
The Arduino is powered on 5v pin not usb, vin or 9v.

Do you have any ideas how I could fix that issue?

Happy Christmas

toni_tonio

Re: Random white noise with Adafruit Mp3 shield VS1053

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:00 pm

That's a cool looking build.

The amplifier is always on by default. The volume control is only changing the input signal source, not the output. So any noise it picks up will go out the speakers. If you are getting white noise while playing audio, then you'll want to see if you can figure out where the noise source is coming from. To have the speakers be dead silent when no audio is playing, you'll want to use the "SPL Off" pin and wire it to a GPIO output so you can disable the amp.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mus ... er/pinouts

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Random white noise with Adafruit Mp3 shield VS1053

by toni_tonio on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:46 am

Good idea. I will do this for the boot. Consider this to be fixed at the moment because I had no issues since I posted my message. No long white noise that cover mp3 played.

toni_tonio

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.