Audio FX board - unable to connect/red ACT LED always lit
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Audio FX board - unable to connect/red ACT LED always lit

by BreadBOB on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum so please forgive me. I searched the forum but was unable to find any advice regarding a fully on red ACT LED on the audio fx board. I just got this board and soldered the headers in place (unfortunately, I did not test the board first). The board was not recognized by either of my computers and with a little further digging I found that only the green power LED should be lit. At the moment both are fully lit. I have tried to clean the solder points which appear ok, but I will not claim to be an expert. If this is just a jumpered connection, which would be the most likely culprit? I have made sure that the CS and UG pins are clear, in addition to all of the GND ports. Everything else also appears clear as well. If this sounds more like a software or driver issue then I am happy to try troubleshooting there as well.
Edit: If I ground the rst pin then the light goes off until I let go. The same is true if I ground the BUS. I don't know if this helps.

Thanks! Peter
Peter_Audio_FX.jpg
Peter_Audio_FX.jpg (519.49 KiB) Viewed 112 times

BreadBOB

Re: Audio FX board - unable to connect/red ACT LED always li

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:35 pm

Make sure your USB cable is not a charge only cable. Try other USB cables if you're unsure. Also try other USB ports to see if you can get the board to show up.

adafruit_support_carter

by BreadBOB on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:55 pm

Thank you, I should have mentioned that I tried 5 USB ports and 4 different cables, at least 3 of which I had previously used for data transfer during Android development. Cheers, Peter

BreadBOB

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:46 pm

OK. Thanks for the update. Can you clarify what you mean here?
The board was not recognized by either of my computers

By "not recognized" do you mean a folder didn't show up? Did the computer make any kind of sound or indication that it at least saw a new device being plugged in?

adafruit_support_carter

by BreadBOB on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:43 pm

The first time I plugged it in I did get a tone, however no drive/folder was visible. I tried both Mac and PC. I did search through the device manager in an attempt to find any new devices but was unable to locate the board.

BreadBOB

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:56 pm

OK. Let's just replace it. Check the new one before soldering to make sure it's works.

Send an email to support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and your order number and they can get you a replacement Audio FX board.

adafruit_support_carter

by BreadBOB on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:39 pm

Thank you for looking at this and trying to help. I will definitely test the new one before soldering this time. Have a great new year.

BreadBOB

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.