Has adafruit stopped supporting their libraries?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Has adafruit stopped supporting their libraries?

by binnes on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:52 am

Hello,
Are adafruit still supporting their libraries, as the DHT-sensor-library (https://github.com/adafruit/DHT-sensor-library) appears to have some well knows issues, with 28 open issues and 23 outstanding pull requests - including fix for the most troublesome issue #48. However, there has been no activity since October 2016, so it appears the repo has been abandoned?

binnes

Re: Has adafruit stopped supporting their libraries?

by franklin97355 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:01 pm

I'll pass this along.

franklin97355

by adafruit2 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:03 pm

hiya its been a while since we looked at it - which PR are you referring to?

adafruit2
Site Admin

by binnes on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:49 am

Hello, The issue I am having (and many others seems to have the same issue when I searched about the issue) is #48 https://github.com/adafruit/DHT-sensor-library/issues/48.

This was initially fixed in PR #51, which was closed when PR #70 was raised. Looking at the comments, there does appear to be an additional issue introduced in PR #70, but the issue in #48 has not been addressed and developers seems to be manually fixing up your library by commenting out lines 155 and 156 of DHT.cpp after install to get stable sensor reads.

binnes

by humancell on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:23 am

Bump!

I haven't seen any other response to this thread, and I'm also curious about the Adafruit commitment to their software and open source. There are several libraries that I have wanted to use where there are issues reported - and outstanding for YEARS - and then valuable pull-requests from the community that seem to be ignored.

It seems that Adafruit would appreciate and leverage the contributions of the community, or at least put some other community members in charge of handling these valuable fixes and contributions.

A few recent examples:

adafruit/Adafruit_ADS1X15 - https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_ADS1X15
14 Issues - dating back to 2013
13 Pull Requests - dating back to 2013

In these, there are several valuable bugs fixes, and enhancements.

adafruit/Adafruit_BNO055 - https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_BNO055
7 Issues - dating back to 2015
8 Pull Requests - dating back to 2016

Again, there are several valuable bugs fixes, and enhancements.

Are their employees at Adafruit that are in charge of the Github repos? Or is there a process to allow community members to get write privileges to deal with all of these outstanding issues and pull requests?

You guys do such a great job with your products, and I know these libraries are a plus ... but then they seem to languish?

Thanks!

humancell

by adafruit2 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:39 am

hiya we recently did a sweep of the DHT library - and we'll take a look at ADS at some time soon (no ETA). the challenge is that a lot of pull requests break stuff - the submitter added something they like but perhaps didn't test everything. or there's typos. or extraneous files. or renamed functions. so then the default examples no longer work.

all PR's must be thouroughly tested on a few different platforms. at the same time, every seller of hardware (not just adafruit) sends their customers to us for support, so there's a lot of tickets every day, and we focus on getting our customers' hardware working.

we do a ton of maintenance on over 1000 (literally! :) repos - and they all seem to work OK with the classic platforms. as other companies have made 'arduino compatibles' - there's become a demand that we then support their platforms as well, and so now there's 5 different chipsets to test!

the most help people can do is to perform regression testing on PRs - testing them on various arduino platforms and reporting back the results! if you'd like to 'take care' of a repo - please reply and we can help you manage it and and the various PR's people submit :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.